11 To make matters worse，he was in love.
Make matters/ things worse：使原来就尴尬、不妙、甚至危险的状况更糟糕
12. The girl he loved was Laura Merton，the daughter of a former attendants；the absent-minded stare；
former前面的，以前的 the former president前总统
13. They were the handsomest couple in London，and had not a penny between them.
eg：They opened a small restaurant between them.他俩合伙开了一个小饭馆。那次事故损伤了他的视力
14. He had been very much attracted by Hughie at first，it must be admitted
eg：The scenery here is attractive.这里的景色很迷人。
eg：He admitted his mistakes to the teacher
15 IThe only people a painter should know he used to say used to say，are people who are beautiful，
Used to do 过去常常
eg：He used to get up late.
16 …… However，after he got to know Hughie better，he liked him quite as as much for his bright，cheerful spirits，and his generous，careless nature.
As much as：和……同样程度，一样，差不多
It is as much your responsibility as ours. 这是你们的责任，同样也是我们的责任。
17 When Hughie came in he found Trevor putting the finishing touches to a wonderful life-size picture of a beggar-man.
eg：Wait a minute，please. I'm just putting the finishing touches to the dress.请等一下，这件连衣裙剩下几针就好了。
the life-size statue与真人一样大小的塑像
18. Over his shoulder wasthrown a rough coat，all torn and full of holes； his thick boots were old and patched； and with one hand he leant on a rough stick，while with the other he held out his battered hat for money.
hold out sth./hold sth. out：伸出
eg：Tom held out his cup for a refill
19. An amazing model？“shouted Trevor at the top of his voice ”I should think so！
at the top of one's voice以某人最大的声音/嗓门
20 What a picture Rembrandt would have made of him！
Make a picture of sb.将某人画下来。