L7 The Model Millionaire
1. Unless one is wealthy there is no use in beingmight be called an occupational disease of people who have been suddenly transplanted abroad. Like most diseases，it has its own symptoms
there /it is no use （in）doing：做……是没有用的/没有意义的
eg：There is no use in complaining without doing anything.光抱怨不做事是没用的。
2. Romance is the privilege of the rich，not the profession of the unemployed.
This company has the privilege of dealing the import and export of chemicals.
3. These are the great truths of modern life which Hughie Erskine never realized.
4. All of us depend for our peace of mind and our efficiency on hundreds of these cues，often without our conscious awareness
depend on sb./sth. （for sth.）：依靠，依赖……而获得
eg：The country depends on its oil-rich neighbours for its oil supply这个国家依靠其石油丰富的邻国供应石油。
have sth. as one's food以什么为主食eg： Most southern people live on rice.多数南方人以大米为主食。
5. He never said a clever or even an ill-natured thing in his life.
ill-natured：unpleasant or unkind怀着恶意的，脾气坏的eg：He is an ill-natured old man.他是个坏脾气的老人。
6. He was as popular with men as he was with women and he had every quality except that of making money.
eg：The young teacher is very popular among the students. 这位年轻的教师很受学生的欢迎。
7 His father，on his death had left him his sword and a history of a particular war in fifteen volumes.
8. lived on two hundred pounds a year that an old aunt allowed him.
live on：A. depend on sth. for financial support依靠什么作为经济来源：
eg：The five people family had to live on Father's salary of 500yuan a month.
eg：The people in that country are always grumbling about the dry weather
9.He had gone on the Stock Exchange for six months； but what was a butterfly to do among bulls and bears？
bulls and bears指有经验的股票投机者。
eg：a bear market：when the value of business shares is falling 熊市
a bullish market牛市
10. but he had soon tired of that.
Tire of 厌倦，厌烦
eg：His interest in the stock exchange soon wore off，and he tired of the business.