您的位置:自考365 > 复习指导 > 笔记串讲 > 公共课 > 英语(二) > 自考综合英语(二)下册详解第十六课下

自考综合英语(二)下册详解第十六课下

2006-12-12 13:38   【 】【我要纠错

  31. If you ask me,it'd be a lot better to crash than not to be seen at…… Well, you can't call it a social affair exactly, but it's a social event, Anyway, everyone will be there, Everyone.——( I think it would be much better to go without invitation than not to attend at all…… Scotty's funeral service is no small social affair, but an important social event. Everyone of some importance in the film industry will be there. ) (Therefore everyone wishing to establish himself in Hollywood should be seen there.)

  我认为不请自到比根本不露面要强……呃,这可不是一般的社交活动,而是重大的社交事件,重要人物都会出席,都会的。(这里卡罗直接说明了为什么他们急于出席这次葬礼的目的主要是“露面”,而不是为了对大明星的去世表示哀悼。她的话也点出了剧名所包含的内容。)

  1)if you ask me: in my opinion(见第13条注释)。

  注意余体词的重读,半个词斜体,就是强调只重读那一半。

  2)it'd be a lot better to……not to be seen at: it would be much better to……than not to be seen at the funeral.

  to crash……than not to be seen at……是主语。

  32. I don't know why the studio couldn't have managed it for us with a little pull. ——(The studio should have managed to get us invited if they had used a little of their influence.) 我真不明白为什么电影制片厂不努点儿力把事情办妥。

  pull: (informal) power and influence

  33. They should realize it's in the best interests of my career to be seen there, and my career means as much to them as it does to me.——(They should realize that my presence at such a social event will greatly enhance/promote my position in Hollywood, and my career and success are as important to them as it is to me.) 他们应该认识到在那个场合露面对我的事业非常有利,而我的事业对他们和对我一样重要。

  注意此句的结构:它由两个并列子句组成,它们本身又都是复合句。第一个子句they should realize……to be seen there带有宾语从句it's in the best interests……to be seen there,其中不定式to be seen there是主语;第二个子句中有一比较从句as it does to me修饰means as much,it代表my career,does代表means.

  1)in the (best) interest(s) of:对……(极为)有利,为了…… 的最大利益,又如:

  We expect you to act in the best interests of our country in the talks concerning her entry into the WTO.

  我们期望你在有关我国加入WTO的谈判中为维护我国最大利益行事。

  In the best interests of your children, you should keep fit.

  为了孩子的最大利益,你应该保持身体健康。

  2)(sth.) means a lot/much/everything/the world to sb.: sth. is very important to sb. 对……来说十分/极为重要

  Her family means a lot to her.

  家庭对她来说十分重要。

  Does your job mean much to you?

  工作对你很重要吗?

  Their grandchildren mean everything to the old couple.

  对这老俩口来说孙子孙女就是他们的一切。

  Human resources management means a lot to a company.

  对一家公司来说人力资源的管理极为重要。

  34. Same here. 这话对我也适用。 (我的露面对他们和对我的事业一样有利。)

  same here:(口语)这话对我也适用;我也这么认为;我也是如此,又如:

  ——This is my first visit to China.

  这是我第一次到中国来。

  ——Same here.

  我也是第一次。

  ——I think that film is awful.

  我觉得那部电影糟透了。

  ——Same here.

  我也这么认为。

  ——I'm very disappointed with the result of the football match.

  我对这场足球赛的结果感到非常失望。

  ——Same here.

  我也是。

  35. Just a slight case so you could tell them with a straight face……——(We'll make ourselves really ill, just slightly of course. Then we wouldn't feel guilty when we tell them so.) 仅是轻微的食物中毒,这样你就可以理直气壮地告诉他们。(即你不是撒谎,而是真的有病。)

  (keep/with) a straight face: with a serious expression; not laughing or smiling, although you find sth. funny 板着面孔,不露笑容,

  How Henry managed to keep a straight face, I'll never know.

  亨利怎么能一本正经地板着面孔,我永远也不会明白。

  36. There is a slight air of superiority about her now. Randy and Carole look at her with sudden surprise.( Now she gives the impression of feeling somewhat important.)她稍微流露出一种优越感,兰蒂和卡罗突然感到惊讶。

  air: the particular feeling or impression that is given by印象, 感觉

  There is an air of confidence about her.

  她给人一种自信的印象。

  There is an air of mystery about the drugstore.

  这家药房给人一种神秘感。

  Their bedroom has an air of luxury.

  他们卧室的布置给人一种豪华的印象。

  37. My mother worked for him when he was starting out in the business.他刚开始演电影时我母亲给他干活。

  start out:开始从事工作,开始立业,又如:

  Andrew Carnegie started out as a bobbin boy in a cotton factory.

  安德鲁?卡耐基开始工作时是在一家棉纺厂当线轴工。

  Mark Twain started out working on a boat sailing up and down the Mississippi.

  马克?吐温开始是在航行于密西西比河的一条船上工作。

  38. She has thus established herself as near-royalty to Randy and Carole.____(By revealing her close relations with the great star, she suddenly becomes important in the eyes of Randy and Carole.) (This is a humuorous and exaggerated remark.) 他的那部获奖电影确立了他导演的声誉。这样,对兰蒂和卡罗来说,她几乎成了皇室成员。

  1)establish sb./sth./oneself (in sth.) (as sth.): to succeed in doing sth. and achieve respect or a secure position as a result of this

  He has established himself as the leading candidate in the governor election in California.

  作为候选人的他在加州州长的竞选中处于领先的地位。

  His award-winning film established his reputation as a director.

  2)royalty: 皇亲国戚。Near: 近亲。

  39. Mrs. Woodrow's secretary said I could bring my family, but now that Vincent has left me and taken the car, I'll have to take a taxi.

  伍德罗太太的秘书说我可以带家里的人一起来,可是这会儿文森特离开了我,车也让他带走了,我只好打车了。 (文森特可能是缪里尔的丈夫或男友,已经抛弃了她。)

  1)family家里的人

  2)now that既然

  Now that you are here, please stay with us.既然你来了,就和我们呆在一起吧。

  40. Well, I have to be getting ready now…All the big names in Hollywood will be there. I want look my best. (On this important occasion, I want to look as smart as possible.) 呃,我得去准备了……好莱坞的大人物都要去,我要昼打扮得漂亮点。

  1)have to be getting ready是现在进行时,表示马上就要做某事,又如:

  It's getting late. I must be going now.

  不早了,我该走了。

  2)big names: famous people名人。

  3)Look one's/its best: to look as beautiful, attractive, etc., as possible

  The scenery looks its best in autumn; look as smart, attractive, beautiful, healthy, tidy, etc. as possible尽量显得漂亮、健康、整洁等,又如:

  这里的景致秋天最棒。

  The children look their best on the traditional festival.

  在那个传统的节日里,孩子们各个精神极了。

  The park looks its best in autumn when the leaves turn red, yellow and brown.

  秋天树叶变成红色、黄色和褐色,那时这个公园最美。

  41. Uh…Muriel, you don't want to go to the services all alone! 呃,缪里尔你不愿意自己一个人去参加葬礼吧?

  这也是一个用陈述句的形式表达的疑问句,详见第23条注释。

  all alone独自一个人

  42. Oh, I don't mind. 哦,我到不在乎(一个人独自去)。

  I don't mind: I don't mind going there all alone.

  43. Look, Muriel,why don't we all go together? I mean…well, of course, Randy and I are invited, too, but we'd be glad to go long with you…as your family, you know. Well, after all, you're one of us, Muriel.

  我说缪里尔,我们干嘛不一起去呢?我是说……,我和兰蒂当然也接到了请贴,不过我们也很高兴和你一起去……作为你的家人。呃,缪里尔,毕竟你也算是我们家里的人。 (注意,他们宁愿以女佣的家人身份去参加,也要露这个面,所以说话时吞吞吐吐,不好意思。)

  1)Why don't we do……? /why not do…用来提出建议,又如:

  Why not ask our teacher for help?为什么不请我们的老师来帮忙呢?

  Why don't we all come to my office and talk at length about the matter?

  咱们还是都到我的办公室好好谈谈这个问题吧!

  I'm tired. Why don't we trim the Christmas tree tomorrow?

  我累了。我们明天再装饰圣诞树吧!

  2)go along with sb. as……:以……的身份和……一起去……

  He went along with the city residents as a common citizen to give his vote.他以一个普通公民的身份和市民们参加了这次投票。

  3)这里after all用来导出一引起理由,解释刚刚说过的话,又如:

  Why don't we ask Xiao Liu to take the matter to the president? After all,

  she's worked with him for two years.

  请小刘去和校长谈这件事吧,她毕竟已和校长共事过两年。

  44. Appears to examine the idea.看起来好像在考虑这个建议。

  He appears very excited. 他看起来好像很兴奋。

  45. I'll drive us all there in the Cadillac. 我开卡迪拉克把咱们三个一起拉去。

  Cadillac:卡迪拉克牌轿车(美国生产的名牌豪华轿车)。兰蒂和卡罗可能不止一辆轿车,名牌的和一般的,不同场合用不同的轿车。

  46. This idea appeals to her.——(She likes the idea.) 这个主意投合她之所好。

  appeal to: to please, attract or interest对……有吸引力;投其所好,又如:

  Dancing has never appealed to me.

  我对跳舞从来就没有兴趣。

  Such forms of entertainment as disco and karaoke appeal only to young people.

  像迪斯科和卡拉OK这种形式的娱乐只对年轻人有吸引力。

  It is almost impossible to make a TV program appeal to viewers of all ages.

  要使一个电视节目同时吸引不同的年龄的观众几乎是不可能的。

  appeal to sb for/to do sth.为……呼吁;要求

  The public appeals to the government to take measures to protect the environment .公众呼吁政府应当采取措施来保护环境。

  appeal to上诉

  Both the plaintiff and the defendant have the right to appeal to the higher court.原告和被告都有权向上级法院上诉。

  47. Well, it suits me.哦,这倒对我挺合适的。

  suit sb.: be convenient for/acceptable to sb.对……合适;能被……接受,又如:

  It'll suit me very well if e set off at 8 in the morning.

  早上8点出发对我挺合适的。

  This arrangement suits us perfectly.

  这一安排对我来说太合适了。

  48. Carole and Randy both jump into action, getting their clothes out of their respective closets.卡罗和兰蒂赶紧行动起来,从他们各自的衣橱里拿出衣服。

  jump into action:赶紧行动。注意jump在下列两个短语中的意思:

  jump to one's feet一下子跳起来(原来坐着或躺着)

  jump to a conclusion轻率下结论

  49. Say, this suit could stand a pressing.喂,这身西服压一压才好。

  1)Say ,(int.): (美)喂;哎呀。用来引起别人的注意,有时也表示惊讶。

  2)stand vt.: 经受,遭受,经得起,又如:

  Their friendship has stood the test of time.

  他们的友谊经受了时间的考验。

  A number of old people could not stand the severe cold, and returned to the south.

  一部分老人受不了严寒而回到南方。

  50. It's going to look all right, isn't it? I mean , our going with Muriel.——(You think it'll look okay if we're going to the funeral as Muriel's family, don't you?) 这么做合适吗?我是说我们和缪里尔一起去不失身份吧。 (兰蒂突然又感到,以自己女佣家人身份去参加这样的活动,是否有失身份。)

  I mean: (见注30——2)(spoken) used to explain or correct what you have just said

  He's impolite-I mean, he never greets his colleagues.

  他真没礼貌,我是说,他从不和同事打招呼。

  We'll have an exam on Tuesday, I mean, Thursday.

  我们星期二考试,不对,是星期四。

  51. ……we have a duty to Muriel, our cook.

  ……We have to look after Muriel, our cook. (We've got to bring her back home from the house.)

  have a duty to do: to have to do sth. because it is morally or legally right

  We have a duty to our aged parents.

  对年迈的父母我们应该尽自己的职责。

  We all have a duty to protect the environment.

  我们都有责任保护环境。

  52.Scotty practically raised her. And we feel that we should take her with us, and then, of course, we'll have to go to the home afterwards. Just family and a few of his very closest friends. We can't get out of it…

  可以说是斯格蒂把她养大的。我们感到我们应该让她跟我们一起去,自然随后我们就去他家里,是家里的人和他最亲近的朋友聚一下。这件事我们是推卸不了的……(注意卡罗的口气与她和缪里尔谈此事的口气完全不一样。对缪里尔说她和兰蒂以她的家人身份出席葬礼,此刻她却说是她和兰蒂带缪里尔去。明明是她死皮赖脸地要和缪里尔一起去,现在却说带缪里尔是他们不可推卸的责任。)

  get out of (doing) sth.: avoid a responsibility or duty推卸责任,又如:

  The couple decided to spend the weekend in a hotel, just to get out of housework.

  这对夫妇决定去旅馆过周末,为的是摆脱一下家务。

  If you go on trying to get out of paying taxes, you'll sooner or later get into trouble.

  你要是继续想方设法逃税,你早晚会受到惩罚的。

  53. (To himself, while dressing.) I guess it'll look all right. After all, funerals are very democratic affairs.(边穿衣服边自言自语)我觉得这件事没有什么不妥之处,葬礼毕竟是件不注重阶级区别的社交活动。 (兰蒂始终感到以佣人家属的身份去参加引人注目的葬礼有占领失身份,他最后自嘲地找到了一个理由。)

  1)After all(见注25——1,注43——3)

  2)democratic: paying no or little attention to class divisions based on birth or wealth不注重或几乎不注重因出身和财产多少而产生的阶级差别。

本文转载链接:自考综合英语(二)下册详解第十六课下

分享到:
  • 站内搜索
  • 课程搜索
  • 试题搜索

热门搜索:教材 报名 查分 免考 考试计划