1. who have been married only a short time and whose careers are still in the promising stage. 俩人结婚不久，在事业上大有希望，但仍然处于发展阶段。
be in the promising stage处于发展阶段，处于有前景的阶段 Socialism is still in the promising stage.社会主义仍然处于迅速发展的阶段。
2. There is abundant luxury in the room but a minimum of taste. ——（The room is richly furnished but shows little taste.）
2）but a minimum of taste但品味很不高雅，but表示转折，minimum of taste缺少品味
3.He presses the buzzer on the house phone and speaks to the cook.他按了按家庭部电话的蜂音器对厨师说话。
Presses， speaks to剧本中的台词是剧本的主体，剧情的发展、人物的展现、剧本的主题思想全通过台词体现是。舞台说明用现在时态（一般现在时和现在进行时）。
4.I hardly slept a wink all night……——（I hardly had any sleep at all last night./I slept very little last night.）
not sleep a wink or not get/have a wink of sleep； not to sleep at all
Our next-door neighbours were so noisy last night that we didn't get a wink of sleep.
5. There is nothing to do but face the fact that we're not invited.——（The only thing we can do now is to accept the harsh reality-that we are not invited.）
1）there is/was nothing to do but do sth.， there is/was nothing for it but to do sth.：除了……没有别的办法
Their car broke down in the wilderness. There was nothing to do but wait for help to arrive.
There is nothing to do but pay up immediately.
2）face the fact that： to accept that a difficult situation exists， although it is unpleasant
You must face the fact that you have to support yourself from now on.
6.Oh， there's got to be a way. There's got to be.
there's got to be a way：We must find a way to explain our absence.
has got to： has to
7. ……there is on reason to feel slighted. We're both pretty new in pictures. It's not as though ） we were oldtimers who had worked with Scotty.——（……we don't have to feel upset that they ignore/snub us. After all， our Hollywood career is just beginning.） 我们不必感到不安，毕竟在电影界我们俩人都还是新手，对我们不可能像对和斯格蒂一起共过事的老手那样。（这里兰蒂？布鲁克斯劝妻子卡罗？梅森想开点，没有邀请他们也有一定的道理，不能指望人们对他们像对好莱坞资深演员那样。）
1）slight： to treat rudely or without proper respect； to insult冷落
She feels slighted because no one spoke to her at the party.
2）it's （not） as though / if：情况就好像（或不可能像）……一样，又如：
It's as if I were a guest while they hosts.
The manager is very disappointed with their performance. It's not as if they were new hands.
8. We've been through all（链接） this before. 这些事我们已讨论过了！
We have discussed/talked about all this before；
We've tried to find out why some of our friends have been invited.
9.And I may never have worked with Scotty， but I did meet him once， and he danced with me at a party.
He may be very tall， but not necessarily a good basketball player.他个子很高，但未必是一个好的篮球选手。
He may be a good teacher， but not necessarily a good headmaster.他是一个好老师，但未必就是一个好校长。
I may have never been without a job， but I do understand how laid-off workers feel.
Cooking may be boring， but it can be a delightful thing to do at times.
Some students may think the training a waste of time， but later they'll find it very useful.
10. He was very nice to me， too， and said some very complimentary things. 他对我很客气，还说了些赞扬我的话。
1） be very nice to对……很客气
11. I met his wife， too.（An afterthought .） I didn't much like her.我还见过他的夫人。（然后补充说）我不太喜欢她。
12. I can't help wondering if there's been an oversight of some kind.
1）……I can't believe they've deliberately slighted us. There must be a mistake. They just happen to have forgotten us.
2）oversight： an unintended failure to notice or do sth.疏忽出错，忽略
Whether by oversight or intention， he will be punished for that .不管是处于疏忽还是故意，他都要受到惩罚。
13. Now， I didn't have to say that…… if you ask me， it showed a lot of humility on my part to say a thing like that when， after all， I've got a career of my own to consider……
（Just a few days before he died I said， “Scotty Woodrow is still the greatest.”） Well， you know， I didn't have to say something so complimentary. When I had such a high opinion of him， it looked as if I had a low opinion of myself； it isn't good when I have a promising career in Hollywood……
if you ask me： in my opinion（口语）我认为，依我看（强调以下所说只是个人意见），又如：
If you ask me， they aren't reliable partners.
The book is all trash， if you ask me.
14. ……try to do something， Mike.
……try to find a way to get us invited.
15. He couldn't get us an invitation to Dineyland. 这么简单的事情他哪能办成呀。 （注意卡罗的挖苦口气。）
an invitation to Disneyland： one of the easiest things to do再简单不过的事情。
Disneyland： 迪斯尼乐园，在美国的洛杉矶近郊，是美国动画片制作家及制片人活尔特？迪斯尼（Walter Disney）创建的游乐园。其后迪斯尼公司陆续在佛罗里达州以及日本、法国等地建立同样的游乐园，下一个迪斯尼乐园将建于香港。
16. Oh yes！ Half the people going， going， I bet， have never met him.是啊，我敢肯定，去的人当中有一半根本就没见过他。
going： who are going to the funeral.
I bet /I'll bet/you can bet （that）： I'm certain （that）（口语）我敢肯定，又如：
I bet she won't take the job. The salary is far from what she expects.
You can bet they'll on time.
17.Now， if we don't get an invitation， I'll have to lie again and say we came down with food poisoning， or something. ——（……I'll have to tell another lie and say we can't go because we're suffering from food poisoning or some other illness.） 现在我们要是还收不到请贴，我还得再撒一次谎，说我们食物中毒或是得了别的什么病。
1）come down with： to get an illness that is not serious； become ill with得了……病，又如：
The whole family came down with the flu and had to stay in bed.
2）or something/somebody/somewhere： 用来表示不敢确定是什么、是何人或干什么的以及在何处，又如：
The title of the novel is Unforgettable Mr. Johnson or Remarkable Mr. Johnson， or something.
18. Mark played Scotty's son in a picture once.马克曾经在一部电影里扮演斯格蒂的儿子。
play （the part of）……：扮演某一角色，又如：
Jim played （the part of） Hamlet several times.
Little Jenny doesn't want to play the witch； she'd like to play the fairy.
play a part/role in在……起作用
He played an important part in Beijing's bidding for 2008 Olympic Games.他在北京申奥的工作中起了很重要的作用。
19. A long time ago， before either of us came on the scene. 很久以前，那时我们俩还没有出道。
come/appear/arrive on the scene： appear and begin to take part in an activity（口语）到场；登场；到来；出生，
The hall was full of fans before the star came on the scene. 在这个明星出场之前，大厅里挤满了他的歌迷。
The famous singing star was a restaurant waiter before he came on the scene.这个著名的歌星在出道前曾是一个餐馆服务员。
The university has changed a lot since the new president came on the scene.
That happened long before you people came on the scene.
20. That means Mark's a little older than he admits.这就是说马克的年龄比他自己说的要大。
You mean you don't want to get the opportunity.你的意思是说你想放弃这次机会。
Forgetting the past means betraying.忘记过去就意味着背叛。
2）older than he admits： older than he admits he is比他自己说的要大
21. The part was very young， practically an infant.那个角色年龄很小，实际上是个婴儿。 Practically（speaking） 实际上，从实际来讲
Practically， you are fit for teaching not fit for administrating.
22. Just the same I'll bet Mark's thirty.再小也一样，我敢肯定马克有30岁了。（角色的年龄再小，也改变不了我的看法，我仍然认为他实际年龄大些。）
all/just the same： in spite of this仍然，依然，照样，又如：
He may have done some stupid things， but we respect him just the same.
We didn't understand the jokes， but laughed with all others all the same.
23.（A little shocked.） She's not giving a party！ （感到惊讶）她不是在搞什么聚会吧！ （兰蒂觉得紧接着葬礼之后，桑德拉就搞这种社交性的聚会很不妥当。）
——You don't mean you're leaving for good？
——Of course not. I surely will return after the job is done.
——You admitted having cheated in examinations？
24. No. She just invited some friends to come in afterwards to have a few drinks and talk about what a great guy Scotty was， and everything.
1）have a few drinks喝点饮料/酒
They talk about their work， dreams and everything.
She calls her parents every evening to see how they are and everything.
25. After all， Scotty Woodrow was practically a landmark， or something. Think of it. He's been a star for forty years.
How can we expect Jim to do so much？ After all he's only 15.
I thought you might find what's wrong with the PC. After all you've worked with Legend.
2）（come to ） think of it：真的，想想看，想起来了（用来表示突然回忆起或记起一件事），又如：
Come to think of it， we haven't seen Jack for twenty years.
Think of it， I've never been to the Great Wall even after living in Beijing
for three years.
Come to think of it， he did say that he wasn't coming back for supper.
26. It makes me very humble to think of a guy like Scotty. 想起斯格蒂这样的人，我感到自己很渺小。
When I think of what Scotty has achieved， I feel small and inadequate.
Humble： having or showing a modest opinion of oneself； low in rank or position；谦恭的，谦逊的；微贱的，卑下的
He is very humble to his superiors.他对上级非常谦恭。
A man of humble birth出身卑贱的人，a humble occupation卑下的职业。
27. You know we could crash. 我们可以未经邀请擅自出席。
We could just go there as if we were invited.
crash： = gatecrash， go to a party or other social event without being invited未经邀请擅自出席。 （在西方这是有失身份的事。）
28. Who'd know the difference？ 谁会知道内情？ （谁会看出我们没有被邀请？）
the difference（between being invited and not being invited）邀请的与未被邀请的有什么不同
29. How would we feel afterwards， when we had to shake hands with Mrs. Woodrow？就算我们毫不脸红地进了大门，可是之后我们不得不和伍德罗太太握手时不觉得心虚吗？
1）would此句是一修辞性疑问句，隐含一个虚拟条件句if we crashed
2）shake hands with和……握手
30. Everyone would just take it for granted we'd been invited. I mean， we've both just as prominent as Sandra and Don， or any of the others.
1） take it for granted认为……是理所当然的
He took it for granted that his parents sent him to school他认为父母供他上学是理所当然的。
I didn't know our meeting had been put off until next week.
I mean， nobody told me.
The chairman is leaving for Nanning tomorrow-I mean for Nanjing. 主任明天动身去南宁，不，我是说是去南京。
The new library is to open on Tuesday-I mean next Tuesday. 新图书馆定于星期二开馆，是下星期二。