II.词汇选择填空（从每小题的A. B. C. D四个答案中选出一个正确答案，对原文不得作任何改动。每小题1分，共20分）
1. To our surprise， she suddenly ______ in front of us.
2. They have ______ to meet me at the airport.
3. She know nothing about his journey ______ he was likely to be away for three months.
A. except that
B. except for
4. Who is to ______ for starting the fire？
5. They ______ Tom to be their representative.
6. The sky is _____ after the rain.
A. clearing out
B. clearing away
C. clearing up
D. clearing off
7. He ______ to realize that he was mistaken.
8. She was ______ hit when her only daughter got killed in a car crash.
9. I'm so tired I can ______ walk.
10. You'd better have that bad tooth _______ out.
C. to pull
11. John has some trouble ________ his girlfriend.
12. I think all this is ______ bit stupid.
A. a little
B. a few
13. Tom and Many are going to _____ married when they return from abroad.
14. Don't trust him _____ he says.
E. no matter how
F. no matter why
G. no matter when
H. no matter what
15. He always keep a dictionary ________ within his _______.
16. I promise I'll remember ______ the book to you.
B. to return
17. They _______ several extra bus lines during the rush hours.
18. Julia _____ a pleasant hour talking with friends.
19. They succeeded _____ overcoming the difficulties they encountered.
20. I'll not go to the party _______ I am invited.
III. 语法选择填空（每小题的A. B. C. DL四个答案中，选出一个正确答案，对原文不得作任何改动。 每小题1分，共20分）
1. The project _______- by the end of 1998.
A. had been completed
B. had completed
C. has been completed
D. has completed
2. You are the only person here ________ knows me.
3. I never met Judy again， _______ was a pity.
4. If I ______ you， I would not take this dangerous job.
5. If I had known you were coming to visit， I _______ you at the airport.
A. would have met
B. will meet
C. must meet
D. shall meet
6. ________ wonderful the machine is！
B. What a
D. How a
7. _______ genius you have！
B. What a
D. What an
8. _______ alone， I turned on the radio for company.
D. Having been
9. I felt ______ when I watched the film.
C. to excite
10. There _______ a TV set and a number of chairs in the sitting room.
11. There is no use _______ to explain.
C. to try
D. of trying
12. He neither reads nor _______ his homework.
A. he does
13. It was the Harvard law school ______ she graduated from.
14. No sooner _______ that the trouble started.
A. he had arrived
B. had he arrived
C. he arrived
D. did he arrived
15. You look awful， I think you'd better ______ a doctor.
C. to see
16. She ______ go to bed when someone knocked at the door.
A. was about to
B. is about to
C. was to
D. is to
17. She entered the room quietly in order not to __________ others.
A. woke up
B. waking up
C. being woken up
D. wake up
18. She was the only one ________ the crash.
C. to survive
19. ________ religion used to have a strong hold on people.
20. I understand you need some money. How ________ do you want？
IV. 在下列短文的空格内填入适当的词，每格只能填一个词。 （每空格0.5分，共10分）
Cars are ____1 important part of life in the United states. Without a car most people feel that they are _____2. And _____3 if a person is poor he doesn't feel really poor when he ______4 a car.
There are three main reasons that the car became popular in the United States. First of ____5 the country is a huge one and Americans like to move around in it. The carprovides the ______6 comfortable and cheapest form of transportation. With a car people can go any place ______7 spending a lot of money.
The ____8 reason that cars are popular is the falt that the United States developed and efficient and inexpensive form of _____9 transportation. Long - distance trains have never been _____10 common in the United States as they are in other parts of the ______11. Nowadays there is a good system _____12 air - service providing planes. But it is _____13 expensive to be used frequently. The ____14 reason is the most important one， though. The American spirit of independence is what really made cars ______15. Americans don't like to wait ______16 a bus， or a _____17 or even a plane. They don't like to have _____18 follow an exact schedule. A car gives them the freedom to schedule their _____19 time. And this is the freedom that Americans want most to _____20.
1. China has guaranteed that Hong Kong's capitalist economy ________ after 1977.
2. In 1981. Leekwan Yew personally initiated _________.
3. The first breakthrough on train was made by _____， the next contribution came from _________， and the latest supertrain is ___________.
4. Some Asian countries are now in the market for fast trains because____________.
5. In US - Japan trade， Japan enjoys___________.
6. An airplane takes off when ______________________.
7. The Americans complain that some Japanese _____________； the Japanese complain that _________.
8. Europeans and the world all hope to emerge _____________.
9. Singapore has to keep one step ahead of the competitors because of ___________.
10. The two factors causing to Pakistan's population problem： ___________.
1. shall continue for 50 years.
2. a compaign against the use of Singlish and lent his authority to the promotion of standard English.
3. Japanese engineers， France， the German ICE.
4. air travel is becoming more and more costly and crowdedly.
5. an export surplus of 50 billion dollars per year.
6. it finishes its run on the runway and becomes airborne.
7. get things done by underhand means； Americans are not working hard enough.
8. a truly United States of Europe.
9. no natural resources beyond the skill of its people.
10. the first is the regrettable discrimination on preferring to a male child， the second is religion against the termination of pregnancy.
1. She depends on her brother for food and clothes.
2. Nobody can possibly doubt what he says.
3. He dropped the letter into the pillar - box.
4. I know nothing about her except that she teaches at a school.
5. You must avoid making decisions in a hurry.
6. The film is worth seeing for a second time.
7. I'd be very glad to find some ways to get rid of this unwelcome visitor.
8. I'd rather be sea - sick than dead.
9. He owes his success to hard work and patience.
10. I'm starting now in order not to / so as not to miss the plane.