1.It was there, the police believe, _____ she was able to activate the recorder she kept in her bag.
A. until B. which C. that D. when
2.It is not yet known _____ computers will one day have vision as good as human vision.
A. whether B. if C. that D. how
3.Such attitudes amount to a belief _____ leisure can and should be put to good use.
A. which B. if C. whether D. that
4. Many of us visited the industrial exhibition, , to our disappointment, we saw very few high-tech （高技术） products.
A. where B. which C. as D. that
5. On the other hand concern is also growing about the possibility of a new economic order _____ resource-rich nations of the Third World would combine to set high commodity prices.
A. which B. what C. that D. in that
6.Studies have shown _____ teenagers often suffer from depression.
A. that B. which C .in which D. in that
7. It is becoming increasingly clear to policy-makers schools cannot solve all the problems of the larger community.
A. that B. what C. when D. who
9. There is no doubt _____ a large number of people have benefited from heart surgery.
A. what B. of C. if D. that
10. Such people _____ you describe are nowadays.
A. as B. that C. who D. which
11. Was it in that school _____ he developed his interest in physics？
A. which B. from which C. where D. that
12. Why do you blame him for his poor judgment on the matter _____ he really needs is encouragement？
A. when that B. since that C. when what D. now that
13. _____, I couldn't get a job in this company.
A. Try as I might B. As I might try C. Try though I might D. I might try
14. It is a well-known fact ____ a person will move in a circle when he cannot use his eyes to control his direction.
A. that B. if C. when D. whether
15. Very few people understood this contract, _____was very obscure.
A. the language B. the language of which C. all it said D. which it had said
16. Management often works hard to set up a situation _____work is done in series.
A. that B. where C. which D. what
17. Although Tom is satisfied with his academic achievement, he wonders ____will happen to his family life.
A. it B. that C. what D. this
18. We cannot leave this tough job to a person _____.
A. who nobody has confidence B. in whom nobody has confidence
C. for whom nobody has confidence D. who everyone has confidence of
19. Six out of every ten prisoners in chains are black, which is _____ the chain gangs call up images of slavery in centuries gone by.
A. where B. when C. what D. why
20.Robots differ from automatic machines _____ after completion of one specific task, they can be reprogrammed by a computer to do another one.
A. so that B. in which C. given that D. in that
21. His name will be crossed out from the list _____ he makes the same mistake again.
A. if B. unless C. because D. though
22. Five minutes earlier, _____we may have caught the gunman.
A. and B. but C. or D. so
23. _____ I'm supposed to work by myself, there are other people who I can interact with.
A. If only B. So long as C. Even if D. As far as
24. We hope that all the measures against sandstorms, _____ was put forward by the committee, will be considered seriously at the meeting .
A. while B. after C. since D. as
25. You are the best for the job _____ you apply your mind to it.
A. until B. if only C. in case D. unless
26. Einstein claimed that matter and energy are interchangeable, _____ there is no "absolute" time and space.
A. so that B. even if C. in case D. in order
27. In a sense, men of this kind begin not so much with a musical theme _____ with a completed composition.
A. but B. than C. as D. that
28. You must push away the many temptations that are always present _____ your schedule is useless.
A. and B. but C. or D. for