1. I was hired （hire） by a Saudi diplomat directly from the Philippines to work in London in 1989.
2. However， many people doubt whether this will reduce （reduce） the incidence of abuse.
3. Up to that time， the blues had been （be） an essentially black medium.
解析：过去完成时，标志语：up to that time，表示“过去的过去”。
4. Of these 20，000， just under 2000 are being physically， sexually and psychologically abused （abuse）。
5. If you do not （not， control） it， it will control you.
6. You will enjoy your fun time more after you have completed （complete） your study responsibilities.
7. Maintaining a healthy self-esteem is （be） a challenge that continues throughout life.
8. The second half of the nineteenth century witnessed （witness） the first extended translation into English of the writings of Eliphas Levi.
解析：一般过去时，标志语：the second half of the nineteenth century.
9. All the worries they might have felt for him were driven （drive） off by the sight of his cheerful face.
10. Attempts to break up this old system have been made （make） in every presidential election in the past one hundred years.
解析：现在完成时的被动，标志语：in the past one hundred years.
1. The mother didn’t know who to blame （blame） for the broken glass.
2. The children brought （bring） up in this way tend to be healthier.
3. It reminded the president to keep the campaign focused （focus） on the economy.
4. Putting （put） food into an empty stomach helps synchronize the body clock.
5. It seems reasonable to assume that， other things being （be） equal， they would prefer single to shared rooms.
6. This poem， if translated （translate） word for word into Chinese， will make no sense.
7. They may have their passports removed （remove）， making leaving or “escaping” actually impossible.
8. Her body， with hands and feet bound （bind）， was discovered by a traveler early in the morning.
9. I couldn’t help but feel （feel） this is a very strange life.
解析：couldn’t help but 后接动词原形
10. Let us consider the earth as a planet revolving （revolve） round the sun.
1. If it hadn’t been for your help， we would have been （be） in real trouble.
2. He would have given you more help， if he had not been （not be） so busy.
3. It is high time that we took （take） firm measures to protect our environment.
解析：It is high time +过去式的虚拟形式
4. It was imperative that students finish （finish） their papers before July 1st.
解析：It was imperative that+动词原形的虚拟形式
5. They demanded that the right to vote be given （give） to every adult person.
6. There was a mistake on my paycheck. I should have received （receive） $10 more.
7. I would rather he bought （ buy） the house next year.
8. The manager told us to be friendly to the visitors as if we had met （meet）them before.
解析：as if 所引导的从句用过去完成式表示虚拟语气。
9. Should she come tomorrow， I _________ take her to the museum. × 正确答案为C
10. If we _________ everything ready by now， we should be having a terrible time tomorrow. 正确答案为A
[A] hadn’t got
[B] didn’t get
[C] wouldn’t have got
[D] wouldn’t get
1. Studies have shown _________ teenagers often suffer from depression. 正确答案为A
[C] in which
[D] in that
2. It is a well-known fact _________ a person will move in a circle when he cannot use his eyes to control his direction. 正确答案为A
3. On the other hand concern is also growing about the possibility of a new economic order_________ resource-rich nations of the Third World would combine to set high commodity prices. 正确答案为C
[D] in that
4. It is not yet known _________ computers will one day have vision as good as human vision.
5. Such attitudes amount to a belief _________ leisure can and should be put to good use. 正确答案为D
6. The reason for making a decision is _________ a problem exists， goals are wrong， or something is standing in the way of accomplishing them. 正确答案为D
7. _________ developed was a music readily taking on various forms and capable of an almost limitless range of expression. 正确答案为A
8. Very few people understood this contract， _________ was very obscure. 正确答案为B
[A] the language
[B] the language of which
[C] all it said
[D] which it had said
解析：the language of which引导非限定性定语从句，并在定语从句中做主语
9. Often music was played out of doors， _________ nature provided the environment. 正确答案为D
[C] in which
10. Many of us visited the industrial exhibition， _________， to our disappointment， we saw very few high-tech products. 正确答案为A