I. Decide whether the following statements are true or false （每小题1分，共10分）
1. The most important mode of vocabulary development in present - day English is creation of new words by means of word formation.
2. Old English vocabulary was in essence Germanic with a small quantity of words borrowed from Latin and Scandinavian.
3. Middle English absorbed a tremendous number of foreign words but with little change in word endings.
4. Compounds are words formed by combining affixes and stem.
5. Conversion refers to the use of words of one class as that of a different class.
6. Motivation explains why a particular form has a particular meaning.
7. Grammatical meaning refers to the part of speech tenses of verbs and stylistic features of words.
8. Unlike conceptual meaning， associative meaning is unstable and indeterminate.
9. Affective meaning refers to the part of the word - meaning which indicates the attitude of the user.
10. Collocation can affect the meaning of words.
II. Complete the following statements or passages with proper expressions according to the text （每小题1分，共8分）
1. The definition of a word comprises the following points： _____； ______； _____； ________.
2. There is no _____ relationship between the sound which stands for a thing or an idea and the actual thing and idea itself.
3. The expansion of vocabulary in modern English depends chiefly on ______. The most productive are _____， ______ and _______.
4. Affixation is generally defined as the formation of words by adding ______ or ______ to stems. According to the positions which affixes occupy in words， affixation falls into two subclasses： ______ and _____.
5. When a word is first coined， it is always ______. But in the course of development， the same symbol must be used to express more meanings， the result is _____.
6. The problem of interrelation of the various meanings of the same word can be dealt with from two different angles： ________ and _______.
7. The development of word - meaning from monosemy to polysemy follows two courses， traditionally known as ______ and ________.
8. Perfect homonyms are words identical both in _____ and ________， but different in _______.
III. Choose a suitable word to fill in each bland （每小题1分， 共16）
1. He mounted his ________ （gee - gee， steed）。
2. He got on his ______ （gee - gee， steed）。
3. The corns are heavy and _______ （ripe， mature）。
4. She is in some way ____ （ripe， mature） and some ways rather a child.
5. After sustained effort， they have found ______ （effective， efficient） ways of reducing pollution.
6. To run the business more profitably， you need an ______ （effective， efficient） production manager.
7. I was so _____ （fatigued， tired） as to be obliged to retire at the same time as the _______ （children， kids）。
8. I was so ______ （fatigued， tired） that I had to go to bed as early as the ______ （children， kids）。
9. When he asked me to dance， I ______ （refused， declined） politely.
10. He ______ （refused， declined） to accept the political advice which was offered.
11. The fridge smelled strongly of ______ （addled， rancid）。
12. An ______ （addled， rancid） egg is one that has gone bad.
13. ______ （Penalties， Fines） for overdue books will be strictly enforced.
14. You have got to pay _____（ penalties， fines） for overdue books.
15. The teacher _______ （accused， rebuked） the student for being impudent.
16. The writer ______ （accused， rebuked） the critic of failing to do justice to his maiden work.
IV. Explain the following terms （每小题5分，共20分）
3. semantic field
4. monolingual and bilingual dictionaries
V. Complete the following idioms （每小题1分，共20分）
1. Deeds are fruits， ______.
2. Being on sea， sail； _______.
3. All are not friends _______.
4. A stitch in time ________.
5. It is an ill wind ______.
6. If you run after two hares， ________.
7. Never put off till tomorrow ______.
8. Soon learnt， ________.
9. Penny wise， ______.
10. Good advice _______.
11. All work and no play ________.
12. He cannot speak well ________.
13. Many a little ______.
14. Two eyes can see _________.
15. Waste not， ______.
16. More haste _______.
17. There are two sides _________.
18. As they sow， _______.
19. Many hands ________.
20. He that loves the tree _________.
A. save nine
B. pound foolish
C. that cannot hold his tongue
D. loves the branch
E. that speak us fair
F. more than one
G. you will catch neither
H. want not
I. being on land， settle
J. soon forgotten
K. is beyond price
L. to every question
M. that blows nobody good
N. so let them reap
O. makes a mickle
P. what may be done today
Q. made light work
R. words are but leaves
S. makes Jack a dull boy
T. less speed
VI. Questions and answers （每小题13分，共26分）
1. Explain the characteristics of the three different period of the English development.
2. What is the classification idioms？