1. At the end of 1994 the pitish government introduced new measures to help ____domestic workers from abuse by their employers.
[A] protect [B] suspect [C] expect [D]inspect 词义辨析
2. I‘m wondering why he hasn’t turned ___ at the meeting.
[A] down [B] up [C] out [D] over 搭配
3. By using both ears one can tell the direction ___ a sound comes.
[A] in which [B] from which [C] over which [D] with which 定语从句
2. Almost everything a manager does ___ decisions； indeed， some suggest that the management process is decision making.
[A] imposes [B] improvises [C] involves [D] indicates
3. American men don‘t cry because it is considered not ___ of men to do so.
[A] characteristic [B] tolerant [C] symbolic [D] independent
4. In every major city there are more ___ apartments than there are homeless people.
[A] blank [B] vacant [C] empty [D] bare
1. Astronomers and scientists think that a black hole is a region of space ___ which matter has fallen and ___ which nothing can escape.
[A] towards…towards [B] into…from
[C] out of…from [D] through…through
2. ___ conclusion， walking is a cheap， safe and enjoyable form of exercise.
[A] into [B] at [C] over [D] under
___ to form a new government.
[A] purpose [B] reason [C] view [D] goal
___ to buy a pair of shoes.
[A] shoes store [B] shoe‘s store [C] shoe store [D] shoes store
3. Five minutes earlier， ___ we may have caught the gunman.
[A] and [B] but [C] or [D] so
4. ___ I‘m supposed to work by myself， there are other people who I can interact with.
[A] If only [B] So long as [C] Even if [D] As far as
5. It was there， the police believe， ___ she was able to activate the recorder she kept in her bag.
[A] until [B] which [C] that [D] when
6. It is not feasible to wait four days ___ the body is used to the new time zone.
[A] while [B] after [C] until [D] then
7. Robots differ from automatic machines ___ after completion of one task， they can be reprogrammed to do another.
[A] that [B] in which [C] when [D] in that
8. It is becoming increasingly clear to policy-makers ___ schools cannot solve all the problems of the larger community.
[A] that [B] what [C] when [D] who
9. Americans have learned much about the way in which the system can be managed so as to ____ the peaceful transfer of power from one party to the other.
[A] make it possible [B] make possible
[C] make possibly [D] make it possibly
10. Lots of empty beer bottles were found under the young man‘s bed； he ___ heavily.
[A] must have drunk [B] must drink
[C] should drink [D] had to drink
Key： 1. A 2. C 3. A 4. C 5. C 6. C 7. D 8. A 9. B 10. A
（1） Colter was excited， so he told 17 about the place. 18 ， the other people did not believe him.
18. [A] the other [B] others [C] another [D] each other
18. [A] Then [B] However [C] Therefore [D] Consequently
Key： 17. B 18. B
（2） Planning is important in almost anything you do. No matter what you are doing， taking the time to plan 11 can help you reach your goal. The purpose of insurance is 12 you plan for unexpected， costly emergencies （紧急需要）。 13 the most important kind of insurance is medical insurance.
11. [A] away [B] on [C] ahead [D] out
12. [A] helped [B] to help [C] kept [D] to keep
13. [A] Probably [B] Unfortunately [C] Conversely [D] Subsequently
Key： 11. C 12. B 13. A
（3） Food in the United States is 13 ， cheap， and available twenty-four hours a day， and many people not only overeat， but eat a lot of high-fat， high-calories foods that 14 weight gain. 15 ， there are some people who eat anything they want and never gain weight， and studies show that obese people do not eat an excessive amount of calories. In fact， they often eat 16 than non-obese people do.
13. [A] many [B] much [C] plentiful [D] resourceful
14. [A] contribute to [B] devote to [C] subject to [D] distribute to
15. [A] But [B] However [C] Moreover [D] Therefore
16. [A] fewer [B] more [C] less [D] better
Key： 13. C 14. A 15. B 16. C
36. accompany （1A） 37. boundary （2A）
38. capture （14A） 39. decline （10A）
40. employee （4A） 41. feasible （8A）
42. heartpeaking （14A） 43. grateful
44. increasingly （6A） 45. junction （15A）
46. loyalty （10A） 47. moderate （8B）
48. overwhelming （10A） 49. nominate （10B）
50. participant （5A） 51. persistently （14A）
52. queue （14A） 53. spontaneous （5A）
54. reinforce （12B） 55. undertake （13A）
36. strike （上册） 37. program（上册）
38. civil （4A） 39. quality（上册）
40. expose （6A） 41. overcome （8A）
42. vote （10A） 43. responsible（上册）
44. content （15A） 45. interview （1B）
46. failure（上册） 47. economy（上册）
48. logical（上册） 49. undergo （11A）
50. nervous（上册） 51. abandon（上册）
52. remain（中学） 53. promote （8A）
54. detail （12A） 55. hobby（上册）
1.The more stress you are under， the ___ （likely） you are to catch a cold.
2. The ___ （far） away we get from the earth， the thinner the air becomes.
3.We know that we are getting even older， and that the nearer a society approximates to zero population growth， the ____ （old） its population is likely to be.
4. As Jane was the ____ （old）， she looked after the other children in the family.
Key： 1. more likely 2. farther 3. older 4. oldest
1. These electric appliances are all similar in construction but each one is ____ （specialize） in its function.
2.The continuing professional education of ____ （high） educated adults will become a third level in addition to undergraduate and professional or graduate work.
3.The explorers were puzzled over what to do next because they were in a ____ （trick） situation.
4.We would like to take this opportunity to express our sincere ____ （appreciate） of your help.
Key： 1. special 2. highly 3. tricky 4. appreciation
A person with appreciation of art and literature is qualified for the job.
选自下册第9单元A课文后Word Study中appreciation的一个例句。主要考查定语从句和be qualified for 的用法。
As research techniques become more advanced， the number of animals used in experiments will greatly decrease.
The biologist is convinced/ believes that some animal species are faced with the danger of extinction.