41. We' ll keep you _____ any news.
A. up to date with B. in step with C. in line with D. in terms of
42. I'd like to go to the cinema, but I' m _____to.
A. enable B. disable C. unable D. able
43. I‘m wondering why he hasn't turned _____ at the meeting.
A. down B. up C. out D. over
44. Contrary _____popular belief, moderate exercise actually decreases your appetite.
A. on B. at C. against D. to
45. _____ the storm, we have to postpone the flight.
A. Owing to B. Thanks to C. Because D. As
46. By using both ears one can tell the direction _____ a sound comes.
A. in which B. from which C. over which D. with which
47. When she worked with the government, she _____ the difficult task of monitoring elections.
A. overworked B. overtook C. underwent D. undertook
48. Apparently, it wasn't an accident. Someone must have done it on _____.
A. intention B. determination C. purpose D. reason
49. _____ conclusion, walking is a cheap, safe and enjoyable form of exercise.
A. In B. On C. By D. As
50. Julie went to the _____ to buy a pair of shoes.
A. shoes store B. shoe's store C. shoe store D. shoes' store
51. He has called a meeting of all parties with a _____ to form a new government.
A. purpose B. reason C. view D. goal
52. Gazing into his eyes, she seemed to have _____ all he said.
A. taken up B. taken over C. taken off D. taken in
53. In every major city there are more _____apartments than there are homeless people.
A. blank B. vacant C. empty D. bare
54. They claim that _____$150 million is to be spent on improvement.
A. sufficiently B. approximately C. considerably D. properly
55. These two areas are similar _____that they both have a high rainfall during summer.
A. except B. so C. now D. in
56. It offers us a fuller sense of being intensely alive from _____ to moment.
A. time B. moment C. period D. instant 57. It may be worth remembering that _____ John Major didn‘t himself go to Oxford, most of his ministers did.
A. after B. since C. while D. if
58. The effects of rapid travel _____ the body are far more disturbing than we realize.
A. on B. in C. for D. to
59. Her powers of persuasion were _____ no avail.
A. for B. by C. with D. to
60. There is little likelihood that a panel of five wants to go through the _____of all shaking hands with you.
A. process B. prospect C. precedent D. presence
61. It is the right to change employers which _____employment from slavery.
A. distinguishes B. derives C. releases D. relieves
62. It is touching to see how a cat or dog _____ itself to a family and wants to share in all its goings and comings.
A. sacrifices B. opposes C. exposes D. attaches
63. A healthy self-esteem is a resource for coping when difficulties _____.
A. rise B. raise C. arise D. arouse
64. The challenge is not one of expansion _____. the rapid growth in enrollment over the last 40 years has come to an end.
A. As a result B. By all means C. In contrast D. On the contrary
65.Hey, leave _____！I hate people touching my hair.
A. behind B. out C. off D. over
66.I thought the problem of water shortage would _____ at the meeting but nobody mentioned it.
A. come up B. come up to C. come over D. come to
67.There is a deadlock （僵局） in the discussion when neither side gives _____ to the over .
A. a way B. way C. the way D. its way
68. This type of desk and chair can be adjusted _____ the height of students at different ages.
A. with B. for C. to D. in
69. The next generation of robots will have a sense of _____.
A. feel B. touch C. contact D. grasp
70. Scientists believe that you usually _____ to one idea at a time.
A. attend B. tend C. pretend D. extend
71. from a systems point of _____, problems have multiple causes.
A. sight B. idea C. perspective D. view
72. To these now familiar facts a number of further facts may be _____, some of them only recently recognized.
A. shown B. proposed C. derived D. added
73. He argues that euthanasia doesn't take into _____ that there are ways of caring for the dying.
A. opinion B. thought C. mind D. account
74. Two-thirds of the nation's voters still identify themselves _____ Democrats of Republicans.
A. for B. as C. by D. over
75.Since we have a focused subject, we should not talk _____.
A. at once B. at hand C. at intervals D. at random
76. It would be better to make a decision now, ______ leave it until next week.
A. other than B. rather than C. less than D. more than
77. We'll inform you as soon as tickets become ______.
A. valuable B. capable C. acceptable D. available
78. The foreign company has been______ running this factory for decades.
A. enormously B. effectively C. infinitely D. extremely
79. The two sisters are _____ in many ways, not only in appearance but also in temperament.
A. like B. likely C. alike D. lively
80. The purpose of the program is to provide training for employees so that they can work ______.
A. late B. later C. lately D. latest
81. I hope my boy friend will be handsome, strong and ______ kind.
A. above all B. in all C. at all D. after all