2. He claims that at Oxford and Cambridge Universities （Oxbridge for short） a few select people start on an escalator ride which， over the years， carries them to the tops of British privilege and power. 比喻少数精选出来的人，进了牛津或剑桥，就像坐上了电梯一样，很快就会爬上英国权力的顶峰。
3. On average， about ￡5，000 a year is spent on each private school pupil， more than twice the amount spent on state school pupils.
On average = On the average 平均每个在私立学校读书的学生平均每年要花费约5000英镑，是每个国立学校学生花费的两倍多。
4. And how can they prepare their pupils for the special entrance exam to Oxford University， which requires extra preparation， and for which many public school pupils traditionally stay at school and do an additional term？
which 和for which都是引导定语从句修饰exam
5. When it comes to Oxford and Cambridge being elitist because of the number of private school pupils they accept， professor Stone of Oxford University argues that there is a simple fact he and his associates cannot ignore：
When it comes to … “当谈及，涉及…时”
例如：When it comes to our children taking the exam， I almost know nothing.
6. And it may be worth remembering that while John Major didn‘t himself go to Oxbridge， most of his ministers did.
be worth + 动名词 用主动式表示被动含义
例如：This book is worth reading.这本书值得一读
The film is worth seeing. 此电影值得一看。
Unit 3 练习
。 weaken . deteriorate .debate . legal. request . criterion . ensure . oppose tradition consideration disabled . burden vulnerable prohibition sensitive
词组：。 to debate on . to make request for be opposed to . to take … into account
Affected with a serious disease， van Wendal was no longer able to speak clearly and he knew there was no hope of recovery and that his condition was rapidly deteriorating.
Van Wendel‘s last three months of life before being given a final， lethal injection by his doctor were filmed and first shown on television last year in the Netherlands.
The programme has since been bought by 20 countries and each time it is shown， it starts a nationwide debate on the subject.
What those people who oppose euthanasia are telling me is that dying people haven‘t the right.
The guidelines demand that the patient is experiencing extreme suffering ， that there is no chance of a cure， and that the patient has made repeated requests for euthanasia .
I think that anything that legally allows the shortening of life does make those people more vulnerable.
Euthanasia can really help rid the dying patients of extreme suffering .
Euthanasia does release the dying people from their suffering .
Do you know that the Netherlands is the only country in Europe that permits euthanasia ？
Those doctors who support the idea never mean they don‘t care about / for patients .
After the first doctor has diagnosed the illness ， a second doctor must confirm the case .
Opponents think patients may not really want to end their lives， and probably there is another request behind the request .