Unit 12 练习
1. symptom 2. intellectual 3. detail 4. initial
5. inventor 6. confront 7. sensitivity 8. reflection
9. creativity 10. character 11. trace 12. modest
13. investment 14. to substitute … for 15. be contrary to 16. to put off
17. be confronted with 18. to gaze at
19. be unaware of 20. to impress…on
21. be free from 22. be beneficial to
1. At its best， daydreaming was considered a compensatory substitute for the real things in life.（para.1）
2. There are always those who would substitute fantasy lives for the rewards of real activity.（para.2）
3. Most people suffer from a lack of daydreaming rather than an excess of it . （para. 2）
4. Not only are they less able to deal with the pressure of day-to-day existence， but also their self -control and self-direction become endangered. （para.2）
5. But its beneficial effects go beyond this . （para. 3）
Go beyond 表示“超越…， 不仅仅是…”
6. Historically ， scientists and inventors are one group that seems to take full advantage of relaxed moments. （para.7）
Take advantage of 利用
7.Whenever confronted with a task which seemed too hard to be dealt with ， he would stretch out on his laboratory sofa and let fantasies flood his mind. （para.7）
8.Picture yourself as winning and that will contribute remarkably to success.
9.The important thing to remember is to picture these desired objectives as if you had already attained them .
Recent research shows / indicates that daydreaming is part of daily life .
Daydreaming is not only beneficial to the mental balance， but also to enhance one‘s ability of self-control.
Daydreaming can not only help maintain emotional balance ， but also improve one‘s self-control .
Historically， many scientists and inventors have taken full advantage of daydreaming.
Many scientists and inventors in history took full use of daydreaming.
While composing， some composers seem to approach a state of deep daydreaming.
Some composers seemed to approach a state of deep daydreaming while they were composing.
Picture yourself as a winner rather than loser in your daydream.
Picture yourself in your daydream as winning rather than defeated.
1.According to Dr. Kramer， ______ people who appear in your dreams， ______ you are on awakening. （99.10）
A. as many … as happy
B. the more… the happier
C. the more… the happier
D. the most … the happiest
答案：C.考点：本题主要考查the + 比较级， the + 比较级，结构是“越… ， 越…”
2.Hold a picture of yourself long and steadily enough _____ your mind‘s eye， and you will be drawn toward it . （99.10）
A.at B.in C.before D.in front of
答案：B.考点：本题主要考查词组in one‘s mind’s eye 意思是“在脑海中，在心目中”。
3.In the past two decades， research ______（expand） our knowledge about sleep and dreams. （00.4）
答案：has expanded .本题主要考查现在完成时。“in the past two decades”经常是表示现在完成时的时间状语。
4.It has been proved that their best ideas seem _____（occur） when they were relaxing. （01.4）
答案：to have occurred . 考点：本题主要考查seem 后面要加动词不定式完成时作宾语。
答案：Scientists are studying why daydreaming is beneficial to people‘s health.
6.A life ____（live） without fantasy and daydreaming is a really poor life indeed. （02.4）
答案：lived .考点：lived 是过去分词作定语修饰life . 词组“live a …life ”表示过着…样的生活。