43. I‘m wondering why he hasn’t turned _____ at the meeting.
A. down B. up C. out D. over
44. Contrary _____popular belief， moderate exercise actually decreases your appetite.
A. on B. at C. against D. to
45. _____ the storm， we have to postpone the flight.
A. Owing to B. Thanks to C. Because D. As
46. By using both ears one can tell the direction _____ a sound comes.
A. in which B. from which C. over which D. with which
47. When she worked with the government， she _____ the difficult task of monitoring elections.
A. overworked B. overtook C. underwent D. undertook
48. Apparently， it wasn‘t an accident. Someone must have done it on _____.
A. intention B. determination C. purpose D. reason
49. _____ conclusion， walking is a cheap， safe and enjoyable form of exercise.
A. In B. On C. By D. As
50. Julie went to the _____ to buy a pair of shoes.
A. shoes store B. shoe‘s store C. shoe store D. shoes’ store
51. He has called a meeting of all parties with a _____ to form a new government.
A. purpose B. reason C. view D. goal
52. Gazing into his eyes， she seemed to have _____ all he said.
A. taken up B. taken over C. taken off D. taken in
53. In every major city there are more _____apartments than there are homeless people.
A. blank B. vacant C. empty D. bare
54. They claim that _____$150 million is to be spent on improvement.
A. sufficiently B. approximately C. considerably D. properly
55. These two areas are similar _____that they both have a high rainfall during summer.
A. except B. so C. now D. in
56. It offers us a fuller sense of being intensely alive from _____ to moment.
A. time B. moment C. period D. instant
57. It may be worth remembering that _____ John Major didn‘t himself go to Oxford， most of his ministers did.
A. after B. since C. while D. if
58. The effects of rapid travel _____ the body are far more disturbing than we realize.
A. on B. in C. for D. to
59. Her powers of persuasion were _____ no avail.
A. for B. by C. with D. to
60. There is little likelihood that a panel of five wants to go through the _____of all shaking hands with you.
A. process B. prospect C. precedent D. presence
61. It is the right to change employers which _____employment from slavery.
A. distinguishes B. derives C. releases D. relieves