17. Although Tom is satisfied with his academic achievement， he wonders ____will happen to his family life.
A. it B. that C. what D. this
18. We cannot leave this tough job to a person _____.
A. who nobody has confidence B. in whom nobody has confidence
C. for whom nobody has confidence D. who everyone has confidence of
19. Six out of every ten prisoners in chains are black， which is _____ the chain gangs call up images of slavery in centuries gone by.
A. where B. when C. what D. why
20.Robots differ from automatic machines _____ after completion of one specific task， they can be reprogrammed by a computer to do another one.
A. so that B. in which C. given that D. in that
21. His name will be crossed out from the list _____ he makes the same mistake again.
A. if B. unless C. because D. though
22. Five minutes earlier， _____we may have caught the gunman.
A. and B. but C. or D. so
23. _____ I‘m supposed to work by myself， there are other people who I can interact with.
A. If only B. So long as C. Even if D. As far as
24. We hope that all the measures against sandstorms， _____ was put forward by the committee， will be considered seriously at the meeting .
A. while B. after C. since D. as
25. You are the best for the job _____ you apply your mind to it.
A. until B. if only C. in case D. unless
26. Einstein claimed that matter and energy are interchangeable， _____ there is no “absolute” time and space.
A. so that B. even if C. in case D. in order
27. In a sense， men of this kind begin not so much with a musical theme _____ with a completed composition.
A. but B. than C. as D. that
28. You must push away the many temptations that are always present _____ your schedule is useless.
A. and B. but C. or D. for
1. The more time you waste， the _____（easy）it is to continue wasting time.
2.The _____ （far）away we get from the earth， the thinner the air becomes.
3.The greenest and _____ （plentiful） leaves are the leaves of grasses living all over the world.
4.We know that we are getting even older， and that the nearer a society approximates to zero population growth， the _____ （old） its population is likely to be.
5.Large or fat people who want to look _____（small）than they are usually wear dark clothes.
6. As Jane was the _____ （old）， she looked after the other children in the family.
7. The effect of rapid travel on the body is actually far _____ （disturb） than we realize.
8. The _____ （far） away we get from the earth， the thinner the air becomes.
9.He was unable to sit still for _____ （long） than a few minutes.
10.The more stress you are under， _____ （likely） you are to catch a cold.
11. Is this because pupils from Britain‘s private schools are more intelligent than those from state schools， or are they simply _____ （well） prepared？
12. They are too easily regarded as evaluated certainties rather than as _____ （raw） of raw materials crying to be processed into the texture of logic.
13. The _______ （good） he feels， the more work he will do.