25. The students would not have made so much progress under less _____conditions.
A. popular B. welcome C. favorable D. prosperous
26.The party has failed to _____ the majority of voters that it is capable of governing the country.
A. trust B. credit C. convince D. believe
27. _____ driving around all day looking for somewhere to park，why don‘t you take a bus to town？
A. In spite of B. Rather than C. In place of D. Other than
28.The kids are _____ be hungry when they get home-they always are.
A. obliged to B. bound to C. desired to D. motivated to
29.All the characteristics that distinguish birds _____ other animals can be traced to prehistoric times.
A. to B. between C. for D. from
30.When the city was _____， everyone knew that total defeat was certain.
A. cut off B. cut down C. cut across D. cut out
31.In his composition there were no other errors _____ a few misspelled words.
A. beside B. except C. then D. than
32. Is a phone conversation a good substitute _____a face-to-face talk？
A. for B. to C. of D. by
33. When we play a game， we enjoy what we are doing， _____ we should not play it.
A. instead B. otherwise C. nevertheless D. either
34. He asked Julia to marry him but she _____ his proposal.
A. turned up B. turned on C. turned over D. turned down
35. He said he wouldn‘t _____what would happen next.
A. guarantee B. speculate C. oppose D. promise
36. The literary critics should be as _________ as possible in analysis and judgment.
A. positive B. negative C. subjective D. objective
37. It took a long time for her to _____ the fact that her husband was dismissed.
A. come up against B. come up to C. come up with D. come to terms with
38. As activity carried _____ as one thinks fit in one‘s spare time， leisure has several functions.
A. on B. out C. off D. over
39. The other timing system belongs in our internal clocks， which， left ___ would tie the body to a 25-hour rhythm.
A. behind B. alone C. out D. aside
40. It has been years _____I returned home.
A. after B. that C. since D. when
41. We‘ ll keep you _____ any news.
A. up to date with B. in step with C. in line with D. in terms of
42. I‘d like to go to the cinema， but I’ m _____to.
A. enable B. disable C. unable D. able