1. I was hired（hire）by a Saudi diplomat directly from the Philippines to work in London in 1989.
2. However，many people doubt whether this will reduce （reduce）the incidence of abuse.
3. Up to that time，the blues had been（be）an essentially black medium.
解析：过去完成时，标志语：up to that time，表示“过去的过去”。
4. Of these 20，000，just under 2000 are being physically，sexually and psychologically abused（abuse）。
5. If you do not（not，control）it，it will control you.
6. You will enjoy your fun time more after you have completed（complete）your study responsibilities.
7. Maintaining a healthy self-esteem is（be）a challenge that continues throughout life.
8. The second half of the nineteenth century witnessed（witness）the first extended translation into English of the writings of Eliphas Levi.
解析：一般过去时，标志语：the second half of the nineteenth century.
9. All the worries they might have felt for him were driven（drive）off by the sight of his cheerful face.
10. Attempts to break up this old system have been made （make）in every presidential election in the past one hundred years.
解析：现在完成时的被动，标志语：in the past one hundred years.
1. The mother didn't know who to blame（blame）for the broken glass.
2. The children brought（bring）up in this way tend to be healthier.
3. It reminded the president to keep the campaign focused（focus）on the economy.
4. Putting（put）food into an empty stomach helps synchronize the body clock.
5. It seems reasonable to assume that，other things being（be） equal，they would prefer single to shared rooms.
6. This poem，if translated （translate）word for word into Chinese，will make no sense.
7. They may have their passports removed（remove），making leaving or “escaping” actually impossible.
8. Her body，with hands and feet bound（bind），was discovered by a traveler early in the morning.
9. I couldn't help but feel（feel） this is a very strange life.
解析：couldn't help but 后接动词原形
10. Let us consider the earth as a planet revolving（revolve）round the sun.