3、a number of＋复数名词作主语，谓语动词用复数：the number of＋复数名词作主语，谓语动词用单数。如：
A number of students are going for a picnic this weekend. 这个周末许多学生将去野炊。
The number of days in February this year is 28. 今年二月份的天数是二十八天。
4、one and a half后，名词要用复数形式，但其短语作主语时，谓语动词用单数形式。如：
One and a half bananas has been eaten by the child. 这孩子已经吃了一根半香蕉。
5、half of，（a） part of修饰可数名词单数及不可数名词作主语时，谓语动词用单数，修饰可数名词复数作主语时，谓语动词用复数。如：
Half of the building is finished. 这幢大楼已经建了一半。
Part of the glasses in the store are made in Suzhou. 店里部分玻璃杯是苏州产的。
“the＋形容词（或过去分词或现在分词）”如：the brave，the poor，the rich，the blind，the young，the old，the sick，the wounded，the injured，the unemployed，the dying，the living 等结构担任主语表示一类人时，谓语动词常用复数形式；但也有少数的形容词或过去分词与定冠词连用指个别或表示抽象的概念时，谓语动词用单数。如：
The young are more active than the old in the work. 做这项工作青年人比老年人积极。
The injured in the accident is an engineer. 在这次事故中受伤的那人是位工程师。
The beautiful attracts all the tourists. 美景吸引住了所有的游客。
To learn a foreign language is not so difficult as you think. 学一门外语并不象你想象的那么难。
Smoking is bad for health. 吸烟有害健康。
That he has won the game is known to us all. 他赢了这场比赛是我们众所周知的事。
What we need is more time. 我们需要的是更多的时间。
What we need are good teachers. 我们需要的是好老师。
The whole class _____ the teacher attentively.
A. are listening to B. is listening to C. are listening D. is listening
2. The League secretary and monitor _____ asked to make a speech at the meeting.
A. is B. was C. are D. were
3. He played on the _____ for two hours and when he returned he found half his goods _____ stolen.
A. sand； were B. sand； was C. sands； were D. sands； was
4. _____ can be done _____ been done.
A. All； have B. All that； have C. All； has D. All that； has
5. About 40 _____ of the population of that country _____ on farms.
A. percent； lives B. percent； live C. percents； live D. percents； lives
6. The Olympic Games _____ held every _____ years.
A. is； four B. are； four C. is； five D. are； five
7. No one but her parents _____ it.
A. know B. knows C. is knowing D. are knowing
8. The results of the examination _____ that you have all made great _____ .
A. show； progress B. shows； progress C. show； progresses D. shows； progresses
9. No bird and no beast _____ in the lonely island.
A. are seen B. is seen C. see D. sees
10.Here _____ a new pair of shoes for you.
A. is B. are C. have D. has
1. Your family is very kind. I'll never forget the favor you've done me.
2. When and where to build the new school haven't been decided.
3. Three quarters of the land is covered with green grass while the rest are covered withpine trees.
4. Not even one of the hundred students who took the test have passed.
5. On each side of the street stands a lot of trees.
6. There seem to be a knife and fork on the table.
7. The students in our school each has known the meaning of WTO.
8. The number of people who own cars are increasing.
9. Such people as he is to be punished.
10.It were Tom and John who played a trick on the old man.
一、1. A 2. B 3.C 4. D 5. B 6. B 7. B 8. A 9. B 10. A
二、1. is—are 2. haven't—hasn't 3. are—is 4. have—has 5. stands—stand
6. seem—seems 7. has—have 8. are—is 9. is—are 10. were—was