1. One idea was that fish is the best brain food.
2. Another idea is that you should not drink water with meals.
3. The reason was that the acid in the orange juice would make the milk curdle and become indigestible.
4. A similar wrong idea is that fish and ice cream …for a poisonous combination.
5. Still another idea is that proteins and carbohydrates should never be eaten at the same meal.
1. How surprised that people…would be …。
1. They thought eating deer would make them run as fast as deer.
2. Man-eating may have started because people were eager to become as strong and brave as their enemies.
3. One such idea is that fish is the best brain food.
4. Fish is good brain food just as it is good muscle food and skin and bone food.
5. But no one has been able to prove that fish is any better for the brain than many other kinds of food.
6. It is just as foolish to say that one should never eat meat and potatoes together as it is to say that one should never eat bread or drink milk.
Text B Do Animals Think？
1. a great deal
There is a great deal of concern about energy shortage.
We learned a great deal from her.
2. be like
Look at the little boy， he is so much like his father.
War is not like what he described in his novel.
3. have time for
I don't know why he didn't have time for breakfast.
Don't worry， we will have enough time for discussion.
4. engage in
He is trying very hard to engage the woman in further conversation.
It is not appropriate for a former president to engage in commerce.
5. take care of
The old people are well taken care of in the nursing homes.
She took care of her little brother while mother was away.
6. in some / many respects
in one / this respect
He is different from the people around him in many respects.
We are lagging behind at least in one respect.
I knew nothing about Jane except what I had heard at the party.
There was nothing we could do except wait and pray.
All the boys except Tom went camping last week.
In the evening she never went anywhere except to the nearest coffee house.
8. connect with
There is no evidence to connect the young man with the theft.
Good health is connected with diet.
There are serious questions connected with the radioactive waste disposal （放射性废料的处理）。
9. make improvement in
The company made great improvement in the wages and working conditions of the employees.
Animals do not make any real improvement in their ways of doing things.
10. by instinct
She knew by instinct that he wouldn't be back.
Birds build their nests by instinct.
11. speak of
Professor Blackwell always speaks highly of his assistant.
Did he speak of the serious earthquake that struck Taiwan last week？
12. let out
“Let me out，” the boy shouted，but nobody came.
The prisoners were let out of their cells.
13. as if
He looked at me as if I were mad.
She opened her eyes as if conscious of my gaze.
He works so hard as if he never knew fatigue.
14. have one's wits about one〔机警，保持警觉〕
In this part of the city you have to have your wits about you all the time.
He felt it unnecessary to have his wits about him on such a friendly occasion.
15. a variety of
Don't bother him， he has a variety of duties to perform.
The college library has a wide variety of books.
16. difference between
Will you please tell me the difference between the two countries？
I cannot see any difference between the two oil paintings.