3. Some savage tribes believed that eating enemies that had shown bravery in battle would make them brave.
本句中的第一个that 引导的又是一个宾语从句，而后一个that 引导的是定语从句，修饰enemies.请看下面的句子：
1） He is a man that you can rely on.（他是一个你可以依靠的人。）
2） She gave me some books that I am really interested in.（她给了我一些我很感兴趣的书。）
3） I would never forget the two years that I spent in that village.
本句中them brave 是make 的复合宾语，请看下面的句子：
1） Don't wait for him. He will make us late.（别等他了，他会使我们迟到的。）
2） He was afraid that the story would make things worse.（他担心那个故事会使事情更糟。）
3） I didn't know that the news had been made public.（我不知道这个消息已经公开了。）
4. It was once thought …
Eggs were thought to make the voice pretty.
Tomatoes were believed to have magical powers
They were called love apples and were supposed to make people who ate them fall in love.
1） 孩子们受到很好的照顾。（The children are well taken care of.）
2） 这个问题最近被谈论得很多。（This question has been much talked about recently.）
3） 体育代表团在机场受到了热烈欢迎。（The sports delegation was given a warm welcome at the airport.）
4） 那里讲什么语言？（What language is spoken there？）
5） 这本书是为儿童写的。（This book is written form children.）
6） 他被认为是这个工作的最佳人选。（He is thought to be the best candidate for the job.）
1） I suppose it was reasonable for him to want his money back.（我看他想要回他的钱是合理的。）
2） I suppose the answer is that he was not so hardworking.（我想答案在于他不够刻苦。）
3） The situation was even worse than was supposed.（形势比料想的更糟糕。）
4） Who do you suppose is the right person for the job？（你认为谁是这个工作的合适人选？）
5） I am not supposed to talk to you about this.（我不能和你谈这个。）
6） He was supposed to leave for Shanghai last night.（他应该昨夜动身去上海。）
7） Suppose / Supposing something should go wrong， what would you do？（如果有了什么差错，你怎么办？）
5. How surprised the people who thought tomatoes poisonous would be if they could know that millions of pounds of tomatoes were supplied to soldiers overseas during WWII.
“how surprised the people would be”是主句，这是一个感叹句；who 引导的定语从句修饰people；if 引导的是条件状语从句。
感叹句通常用what 或how 引起。what 用来修饰一个名词，how 修饰一个形容词，副词或动词。请看下面的句子：
1） What a kind-hearted man he is！（他是一个多么好心的人啊！）
2） What good news it is！（多好的消息啊！）
3） What a beautiful city！（多美的城市啊！）
4） How lovely the children are！（多可爱的孩子啊！）
5） How well she writes.（她写得多好啊！）
6） How I hated all this.（我多恨这一切啊！）
6. One such idea is that fish is the best brain food.
1） My suggestion is that we should leave right now.（我的建议是我们现在就离开。）
2） What is troubling me is that I don't have much experience in teaching.
3） My idea is that we offer them more help.（我的意思是我们给他们提供更多的帮助。）
4） The fact is that we don't have enough hands.（事实是我们人手不够。）
7. Washing food down with water as a substitute for chewing is not a good idea.
substitute for 是一个常用词组，意思是“代替，代用品”；substitute也可以做动词用，意思是“替代”。请看例句：
1） Don't you think it a good idea to use plastic as a substitute for wood？
2） Daydreaming cannot substitute for hard work.（白日梦不能取代辛勤的努力。）
3）A middle-aged woman substituted for the English teacher during her absence.
8. Many people think of bread as a carbohydrate food.
think of … as是一个习惯用法，意思是“把…看作是…”，“认为…是…”。请看下面的句子：
1） People think of him as a hero.（人们把他看作英雄。）
2） He thinks of himself as the most important member of the family.（他认为自己是最重要的家庭成员。）
3） The Yellow River is thought of as the cradle of the Chinese nation.（黄河被看作是中华民族的摇篮。）
与think of …as 意思相近的习惯用法还有regard …as；consider…as；look upon…as；view…as；see …as 等等。
1. be eager to 2. be supposed to
3. fall in love 4. grow up
5. be supplied to 6. substitute for
7. have sth. to do with 8. at the meal
9. as a matter of fact 10. think of …as…
11. in the same way
1. Many people believe that by eating an animal they could get some of the good qualities of that animal for themselves.
2. They thought eating deer would make them run as fast as the deer.
3. Some savage tribes believe that eating enemies that had shown bravery in battle would make them brave.