6. In addition to breaking the law themselves， people tolerate various levels of crime.
in addition to意思是“除…之外（还）…”， to是介词，在其后要用名词或动名词。
1）In addition to bread， I bought you some milk. （除了面包，我还给你买了些牛奶。）
2）In addition to holding a full-time job， he tutored some primary school children.
tolerate是个及物动词，意思是put up with （忍受、宽恕）；accept （允许）
1）They tolerate the existence of opinions contrary to their own. （他们允许相反观点的存在。）
2）I cannot imagine how he tolerated the isolation. （我不能想象他是如何忍受这份孤独的。）
7. We become used to seeing blood on the news on television. Become是一个连系动词，used to与连系动词或be动词连用，意思是“习惯”，used to单独用时，意思是“过去，曾经”。
1） He is getting used to living in the south. （他正在习惯南方的生活。）
2） I have become used to getting up early in the morning. （我已习惯早起。）
1） He used to work for the government. （他曾为政府做事。）
2） They used to live in the same city. （他们曾在同一座城市生活过。）
请注意be used to中的to是个介词，后面要用名词或动名词，used to中的to是个不定式符号，后面用动词原形。
8. When it comes to respecting the rights of a mass of anonymous individuals， we might not be so responsible.
When it comes to相当于so far as…is concerned意思是“就…而言”，“说到…时”。To是个介词，后面用名词或动名词。
1） He is not good at math， but when it comes to English， he is the best. （他的数学不好，要说到英语他是最好的。）
2）When it comes to giving due respect to the old people， she feels a bit uneasy.
1） The floating masses office would prove to be a threat to the ships. （大块大块的浮冰对船只将是个威胁。）
2） They have collected a great mass of data. （他们已收集了大量资料。）
3） The room is a mess. （这房间又脏又乱。）
4） They made a mess of the job. （他们把事情搞得一团糟。）
9. While most people would not steal a wallet containing $50， they may not mind cheating on taxes， because cheating on taxes does not hurt any one person.
1） While he is respected， he is not well-liked. （尽管他受人尊敬，但并不被人喜欢。）
2） While I admit his good points， I can see his shortcomings. （尽管我承认他的优点我还是看到他的缺点的。）
1） Mind the wet paint！ （当心，油漆未干。）
2） Mind your own business！ （别管闲事！）
3） Would you mind my smoking？ （我抽烟你介意吗？）
4） I don't mind tell him all I know. （我不介意把我所知道的都告诉他。）
5） Mind that you don't forget the meeting. （注意别忘了开会。）
10. Perhaps this is why someone who robs a few dollars by force from a corner store will often end up with a longer jail term than a fraud artist who swindles thousands of dollars…
1） Several youngsters robbed the bank by force. （几个年轻人以暴力抢劫银行。）
2） The boy was robbed of his money by force. （那个男孩的钱被强抢了。）
1） You will end up in prison if you go on stealing. （如果你继续偷下去，你最终会进监狱的。）
2） Wasteful people usually end up in debt. （挥霍浪费者最后往往负债。）
3）We ended up taking a taxi there. （我们最终乘出租车去了那儿。）
4）The party ended up with a chorus. （晚会最后以合唱结束。）
5）If we go on in this way， we shall end up with millions and millions of unemployed.
serve one's term of service （服规定年限的兵役）
get a term of ten years in prison （被判十年徒刑）
during one's term of office （任职期间）
11. The police would never be able to keep an eye on everyone， and people would still find ways to bend new laws.
keep an eye on意思是“照看；密切注意”，如：
1） Can you keep an eye on the baby while I go shopping？ （我去购物时你能帮我照看一下孩子吗？）
2） Parents won't be able to keep an eye on the children all the time. （父母不可能时时注意孩子们。）
1） They tried in vain to bend the rules of the game. （他们篡改比赛规则的企图没有成功。）
2） He took advantage of his power to bend the law to suit his own purposes.
1. think of 2. be aware
3. go through 4. in case
5. divide into 6. in the same way
7. range from 8. in addition to
9. be tolerant of 10. become used to
11. care about 12. prevent from
13. when it comes to 14. by force
15. end up 16. keep an eye on
Text B Marriage in iran and America：a study in contrasts
I. Phrases and expressions
Compared with the products of their factory， ours are superior in quality.
Compared with many other women in her days， she was really lucky.
2. for the purpose of
He cheated on the exam for the purpose of getting a high score.
He told a lie for the purpose of avoiding a possible punishment.
3. a number of
A number of local residents have moved to a new residential area.
A number of miners who had been trapped were saved.
4. be willing to
He was willing to lend us a helping hand when we were in need.
The man was not willing to admit that he was wrong.
5. be married to
She was married to a handsome young man from Germany.
The girl stood up and said she was willing to be married to the poor artist.
6. be involved in
No one wanted to be involved in this matter.
Mr. Li didn't expect that his son could be involved in this robbery.
7. respond to
How did the audience respond to your speech？
He responded to his wife's complaints by turning a deaf ear to her.
8. be allowed to
He is allowed to read in prison.
The boy is not allowed to play video games.