2. Failing to be impressed by a friend's collection of stamps， yawning when a golfer tells you about what great shot he made… are all things that educated people try not to do.
1）Smoking is not good for your health. （吸烟有害你的健康。）
2） Making experiment is one way of learning. （实验是学习的一条途径。）
be impressed by 意思是“给…深刻印象”。如：
1）I was impressed by his talent. （他的才干给我留下了深刻的印象。）
2）He was impressed by the gorgeous sunset. （绚丽的夕阳给他留下了深刻的印象。）
golfer意思为“高尔夫球运动员”，这个词是由golf加后缀-er构成的，英语中这一类词很多。如：baker （面包师傅），gardener （园丁），miller （磨坊主），singer （歌唱家），user （使用者。）
1） He tried not to let out the secret. （他试图不泄露秘密。）
2） We tried not to be misled by them. （我们努力不被他们误导。）
3. There are no laws enforcing respect.
本句是一个There be + noun + V-ing 结构，表示存在（有），there失去表示场所的意义。如：
1） There was a fire burning in the fireplace. （壁炉里火在燃烧。）
2） There were two bulldozers knocking the place flat. （两台推土机把那儿夷平。）
1） It is necessary to enforce discipline in the army. （在部队里执行纪律是必要的。）
2） He strongly objected to enforcing obedience on children. （他强烈反对强迫儿童服从。）
4. These guidelines represent what a majority of people consider acceptable and what they consider unacceptable.
1） The blue lines on the map represent rivers. （地图上的蓝线代表河流。）
2） These views don't represent the real thinking of the local residents. （那些观点并不反映当地居民的真实思想。）
1） I will always remember what my mother said to me before I went to college.（我将永远记住我上大学前妈妈对我说的话。）
2） I didn't see what they were doing there. （我没看见他们在那儿干什么。）
3） His idea couldn't represent what the ordinary people really liked.（他的想法不能代表普通百姓真正所喜欢的东西。）
1） consider + 宾语
He had no time to consider the matter. （他没有时间考虑这件事。）
2） consider + 宾语 + 宾语补足语
Some people considered the attack a mistake. （有人认为那次进攻是个错误。）
3） consider + that 从句
We consider that the young man is not guilty. （我们认为那个年轻人无罪。）
4） consider + V. + ing He considered changing his job. （他考虑换一份工作。）
5） consider to be/as
They consider themselves to be very lucky. （他们认为自己很幸运。）
He is considered to be an authority. （他被认为是权威。）
They considered the house as beautiful. （他们认为那房子很美。）
They consider themselves lucky.
He is considered an authority.
They consider the house beautiful.
5. They are not even aware that this habit will bother the other members of the audience.
1） be aware of
If you were aware of all that， you would change your mind. （如果你知道了那一切，你会改变主意的。）
2） be aware that
He was aware that he had drunk too much. （他知道他喝的太多了。）
1） Don't bother me， I have to finish the work in an hour. （别打扰我，我得在一小时内做完这个工作。）
2） Don't bother to talk to him. He has no interest in anything. （别费心跟他讲话，他对什么都没兴趣。）
1） The audience was （were） enjoying the performance. （观众在欣赏演出。）
2） That book has a large audience. （那本书有广大的读者。）
6. …the look-at-me phone users whose boring conversations are just as dangerous to our mental health as smoke is to our lungs.
A. interested interesting
1. He is interested in that book.
2. The book is interesting
B. excited exciting
1. We were very excited on hearing the news.
2. The exciting news was soon spread all over the country.
C. bored boring
1. The audience was bored by the speaker's empty talk.
2.The boring lecture made my sleepy.
7. …they listen to their walkmans while the teacher is talking to them.
listen是一个不及物动词，后面必须加介词to才可以跟宾语，如：听音乐（listen to music），听收音机（listen to the radio），听天气预报（listen to the weather forecast）。请注意，不能丢掉介词to.
8. Kids who have no idea what being polite means will pay the price sooner or later.
have no idea of sth. 意思是“对……不理解”。have no idea后面接从句，常可省去of，如：
1）He had no idea what was likely to happen next. （他无法预料接下去会出现什么情况。）
2）I have no idea why she left.（我不知道她为什么离去。）
Being honest means telling no lies. （诚实意味着不说谎话。）
1）I have no idea what will turn up.
2）I have no idea how soon they will arrive.
3）Word came that they had succeeded.
pay the price意思是“付出代价”。如：
They will pay the price for their ignorance. （他们将为自己的无知付出代价。）
sooner or later意思是“迟早”，如：
You will understand me sooner or later. （你迟早会理解我的。）
9. When they join the work force， their employers and associates alike will soon realize that the behavior of these rude young people is closer to that of animals than civilized people.
alike通常做形容词用，如：The two brothers are very much alike. （这两兄弟非常相象。）在本句子，alike作副词用，意思是“一样地”。
1）Teachers and students alike will have a 3-week holiday. （老师和学生一样将有为期三周的假期。）
2）The book is interesting and instructive alike. （这书既有趣，也有教益。）
1） By 1990， production in the area is expected to double that of 1980.
2） The weather in Shanghai is milder than that of Beijing.
10. Being polite and showing respect can give us an edge.
1） The edge was with our team. （优势在我们队这边。）
2） Since he obtained the edge， he was sure to win. （既然他取得了优势，他一定会赢。）
3） have an edge over sb. （胜过某人）
4） maintain a nuclear edge （保持核优势）
1. think of 2. be impressed by
3. fall asleep 4. a trip to
5. interact with 6. a majority of
7. show respect for 8. as well
9. be aware of 10. listen to
11. have no idea 12. pay the price
13. sooner or later 14. be close to
15. because of 16. get ahead
17. give sb. an edge 18. be based on
Text B Why we walk in circles
He came all the way to China for promoting friendship rather than for making money.
He was reading a book rather than watching TV.
He felt somewhat tired.
This book is somewhat difficult to understand.
Instead of pushing and crowding， he waited quietly for his turn.
He gave us a lot of trouble instead of help.
The letter had gone astray.
Make sure that no sheep go astray.
The poor child was kept from seeing his mother.
The bad weather kept us from getting there as scheduled.
Cut me off if I talk too much.
Gas supplies had now been cut off.
This book is worth reading.
This problem is worth following up.
8.reach one's goal
You have to work hard to reach your goal.
9. such as
Many stories such as these will prove instructive to the children.
He intended to give us an explanation， but he didn't.
I didn't intend to hurt you.
He is no more a teacher than a writer.
We are no more satisfied than you are.
Young as he is， he holds an important position in the company.
Smart as they are， they are always modest.
Child as he was， he knew what was the right thing to do.
With many eyes fixed on her， she felt very nervous.
With all the work completed， we felt greatly relieved.
With all his savings gone， he had to find a job now.