5.Tombs and temples of ancient Egypt follow the Nile well into Sudan. Driving southward from Cairo into the valley， I entered a landscape that owed little to the present era. For the next 1800 miles the thin blue ribbon of the Nile， flowing slowly north， unwound over brown soil and green fields， some only a few yards wide， others as broad as an Iowa cornfield. At the edge of the fields， rising in dramatic hills or stretching flat to the horizon， lay the brown barren deserts.
6. I had the illusion that I was driving through one immensely long， narrow farm.
7. the road followed the course of the Nile， now passing through the fields， now drawing a black line separating them from the desert.
8. as the flood receded， the water draining through the soil leached out the salts and carried them off to the Mediterranean.
9. it enjoys a Mediterranean climate.
10. The fertility of the surrounding plains， easy access to the Murray lowlands to the east and southeast， and the presence of mineral deposits in the nearby hills all contributed to the city‘s growth.
四周平原土壤肥沃，与东和东南方的墨累低地相通。附近山区有矿藏。 原为早期农贸中心， 现已工业化。
11. The Adelaide Festival of Arts was the first international celebration of its kind to be held in Australia.
12. Adelaide， the capital of South Australia， is one of Australia‘s best-planned cities.
13. Belts of parklands line three sides of the area and four large open squares of lawns and trees break the regularity of the city buildings. North Adelaide， which is chiefly residential， is bordered by more parklands， and contains two open squares. N and S Adelaide are divided by the Torrens River， spanned by four bridge and lined with ornamental gradens.
14. The city contains many fine examples of early Australian architecture， including the town hall on King Wiiliam Street——the wide main N-S thoroughfare.
15. jets of water， aluminium sculptures， draws its water.
16. Parklands， which separate the city and the suburbs， are preserved in the perpetuity for the use of the people.
17. The Imperial Palace
18. Of particular interest if you have time might be the Imperial Ancestral Temple， which is to the right， and the Sun Yat-Sen Park， on the left.
19. Covering an area of 175 acres， the Palace is enclosed by walls over 35ft high and surrounded by a moat 57yd wide.
20. the Palace Museum， with four gates， has its main entrance to the south， known as the Meridian Gate. This is the gate you will approach as you continue along the cobbled roadway from Tian An Men. The Imperial Palace is divided into two ceremonial areas： the Outer Palace and the Inner Court. Through the Meridian Gate and across the Golden Water Bridge， one comes to the Gate of Supreme Harmony， the main gate of the Outer Palace. The main building in the Outer Palace are the Hall of Supreme Harmony， the Hall of Preserving Harmony.
21. The Hall of Supreme Harmony， the Meridian Gate， the Outer Palace， the Inner Court， the Golden Water Bridge， the Gate of Supreme Harmony， the Hall of Complete Harmony， the Hall of Preserving Harmony.
太和殿， 午门， 外朝， 内延， 金水桥， 太和门， 中和殿， 保和殿
22.总面积共有68.2公顷， 燕京八景之一， 五龙亭， 九龙壁， 御花园， 白塔， 燕京， 琉璃瓦， 影壁
With a total area of 68.2 ha. One of the eight views of Beijing. The Five Dragon Pavilion. Nine-Dragon Screen. The Imperial garden. The White Dagoba. Beijing. Glazed tiles. Screen.