Natural agricultural resources， production conditions， technical level and some other conditions ensure great potential in this respect.
To achieve the target is totally possible even if the factor of diminishing land returns rate is considered.
The Chinese government will make efforts to speed up the reclamation of wasteland suitable for farming as well as land discarded by factories and mines.
23. inland waters， aquaculture， aquatic products， intensification， animal by-products， arbor foodstuffs.
UNIT 5 CULTURE
1. it‘s raining again. As I lie awake in bed， listening to the sound of those razor-sharp drops pounding on the pavement， my mind goes reeling down dark corridors teeming with agonizing flashbacks， and a chill from within fills me with dread. It’s raining， again.
2.it does this every year in Southern California； at least that‘s what they told me last year when I marveled at the relentless determination of the rain.
3. every child raised in the West knows about these dangers. At least that‘s what I used to think. I’m not so sure anymore.
4. Habits form， however， and， in a child‘s mind， most of the time becomes all of the time， and nobody gives it much thought. Then the rains come.
6. Each day we make choices that affect our lives and， sometimes， the lives of others.
7. Somehow our path took us toward the park， across the footbridge high above the rolling water of the Los Angeles River.
8.Many children were playing close to the water， and we were stunned by their ignorance and daring. The far bank.
9. He jumped into the water to get his bike and was carried rapidly downstream， a look of panic and horror registering on his young face.
10. the greatest instinct， I believe， is to help a child in need.
11. I could see that he had confronted much more than he could handle， even being as strong and athletic as he was.
12. feeling of guilt， as a matter of course. That little was lucky to get out.
内疚心理， 理所当然， 那孩子命大的话会脱险的。
13. Although both my parents died young， I have done well in this respect as regards my other ancestors. My maternal grandfather， it is true， was cut off in the flower of his youth at the age of sixty-seven， but my other three grandparents all lived to be over eighty.
14. my maternal grandmother， after having nine children who survived， one who died in infancy， and many miscarriages， as soon as she became a widow devoted herself to women‘s higher education.
15. if you have wide and keen interests and activities in which you can still be effective， you will have no reason to think about the merely statistical fact of the number of years you have already lived， still less of the probable brevity of your future.
16. one‘s thoughts must be directed to the future， and to things about which there is something to be done.