5.Clyde， left alone in this fashion， and not knowing just what it meant， stared， wondering.
7.I remember my childhood names for grasses and secret flowers.
8.It required only a rich winter of rain to make it break forth in grass and flowers.
只要经历一个雨量充足的冬季， 草呀，花呀， 就会长出来。
9. when June came the grasses headed out and turned brown， and the hills turned a brown which was not brown but a gold anad saffron and red——an indescribable color.
10. It was a rasping nervous wind， and the dust particles cut into a man‘s skin and burned his eyes.
11. The land cracked and the springs dried up and the cattle listlessly nibbled dry twings.
12. The tall， well-dressed gentleman standing before me was certainly a far cry from the old sea wolf of my imagination.
13. A delighted giggle cut through the severe silence. The ice was broken. We all laughed.
In the old society， Pinju players seldom made enough to live on. And as most were saddled with big families their life was hard.
15.腊月二十三封箱，把“祖师爷”请到前台去， 后台冷冷清清， 演员们就更苦了，要等到年初一开戏了，才能挣到钱。
On the twenty-third of the twelfth lunar month， when theatres closed and the patron saint of actors was invited to the front stage， leaving the backstage deserted， actors were even worse off， unable to earn any more until the reopening on New Year‘s Day.
Each single copper had to be eked out， and I kept racking my brains for ways to improve our difficult conditions.
We had to queue up before dawn when there were still stars in the sky. A long queue formed before the mill‘s gate opened.
I was drenched from head to foot like a drowned rat.
UNIT 8 POPULAR SCIENCE
1. there were three groups of oils； animal， vegetable and mineral.
2. a few other creatures yield oil， but non so much as whale.
3. Vegetable oil has been known from antiquity.
4. To it we owe the existence of the motor-car， which has replaced the private carriage drawn by the horse， to it we owe the possibility of flying.
5. two metal surfaces rubbing together cause friction and heat； but if they are separated by a thing film of oil， the friction and heat are reduced. No machine would work for long if it were not properly lubricated.