14. readability， 读起来上口，顺。所谓翻译，是翻译意思，而不是翻译词句。只要抓住了意思，译文在词句上可以有一定的灵活性。
15. Despite the great gains in industry， agriculture remained the nation‘s basic occupations. The revolution in agriculture——paralleling that in manufacturing after the war involved a shift from hand labor to machine farming， and from subsistence to commercial agriculture. Between 1686 and 1910， the number of farms in the United States trebled， increasing from 2 million to 6 million while the area farmed more than doubled from 160 million to 352 million hectares.
16. In 1840， Cyrus McCormick performed a miracle by cutting from two to two-and-a-half hectares a day with the curious machine he had been developing for nearly 10 years.
17. In 1862， the Morrill Land-Grant College Act
18. industrial colleges， appropriated fund， were at work.
农业院校， 下拨款项， 展开了科研活动。
19. 五四运动是反帝国主义的运动，又是反封建的运动。 五四运动的杰出的历史意思，在于它带着为辛亥革命还不曾有的姿态， 这就是彻底地不妥协地反帝国主义和彻底地不妥协地反封建主义。
The May 4th Movement was an anti-imperialist as well as an anti-feudal movement. Its outstanding historical significance is to be seen in a feature which was absent from the Revolution of 1911， namely， its thorough and uncompromising opposition to imperialism as well as to feudalism.
May 4th Movement was uncompromising in its opposition to feudal culture； there had never been such a great and thoroughgoing cultural revolution since the dawn of Chinese history.
Both in ideology and in the matter of cadres， the May 4th Movement paved the way for the founding of the Chinese Communist Party in 1921 and for the May 30th Movement in 1925 and the Northern Expedition.
22. 上海，唐山，长辛店等地工人纷纷罢工示威， 中国工人阶级第一次作为觉悟了的独立的政治力量登上政治舞台，显示了它的伟大力量。
Workers in Shanghai， Tanghsna， Changxindian and etc， went on strike to express their disapproval. As an awakened， independent， political strength， Chinese working class stepped on the political stage for the first time and illuminated its tremendous power.
23. 在全国人民反帝爱国斗争的压力下， 北洋军阀政府被迫释放被捕学生，撤销三个卖国？的职务，拒绝在对德“和约”上签字，反帝反封建斗争取得了初步胜利。
Under the pressure of a nationwide patriotic struggle against imperialism， the Northern Warlord government had to release those arrested students， remove the 3 traitors from their posts and refuse to sign on the Peace Treaty with Germany. The struggle against imperialism and feudalism has achieved a foundemental victory.
24. 五四运动是一次彻底的不妥协的反帝反封建的革命运动， 它促成了中国工人运动同马克思主义的结合， 在思想上和干部上为中国共产党的成立作了准备， 是中国新民主主义革命的开端。
May 4th Movement is a revolutionary movement with a thorough and uncompromising opposition to imperialism and feudalism. It prompted the combination of Chinese workers‘ movement and Marxism and， both in ideology and in the matter cadres， paved the way for the founding of Chinese Communist Party. It was the beginning of the Chinese New Democratic Revolution.
25. Scarcely less important than machinery in the agricultural revolution was science. In 1862， the Morrill Land-Grant College Act allotted public land to each state for the establishment of agricultural and industrial colleges.
26. the revolution in agriculture——paralleling that in manufacturing after the war involved a shift from hand labor to machine farming， and from subsistence to commercial agriculture.
UNIT 3 GEOGRAPHY
1. All this suggested ancient harmonies.
2. The devastating floods and droughts that imposed a recurrent tax of suffering on the fellahin no longer occur.
3. About six years ago it became an island. Day by day the sea is eating the land——the dam has stopped the sediment of the Nile from replenishing the shoreline.
4. 旧的教学法只管三件事，识汉字， 读汉字读物， 写汉字作文。 冰心在<北京晚报>发表过一篇文章：“漫谈赏花和玩猫”。