1. Many international sports were introduced by the British who take their leisure time very seriously. There is widespread participation in sport in Britain.
2. Football （ or “soccer” as it is colloquially called ）， the most popular sport in England as well as in Europe， has its traditional home in England where it was developed in the 19th century.
3. The game “Rugby” was invented at Rugby School in Warwich shire in the early 19th century.
4. Cricket， the most typically English of sports， has been in existence since the 16th century. On an international level， 5-day Cornhill Test Matches.
5. Although tennis has been played for centuries， the modern game originated in England in late 19th. The main tournament is the annual Wimbledon fortnight， one of the 4 tennis “Grand Slam” tournaments.
6. There is a considerable following and participation of athletics in Britain. For example， the London Marathon， which takes place every spring.
7. The home of golf is Scotland where the game has been played since the 17th century and naturally the oldest golf club in the world is there： The Honourable Company of Edinburgh Golfers. The Walker Cup for amateurs and the Ryder Cup for professionals.