3. Exports grew much faster than imports during this period not only because of the strong emphasis placed on exporting by China‘s economic planners， but also because a number of industrial projects were postponed in 1979. Official recognition that foreign technology could play a major role in modernizing the Chinese economy has caused imports to rise by more than 50 per cent in 1978， placing undue strain on the national economy.
4. Chinese official stress the importance of introducing advanced technology to domestic industry， but the need is for technology of varying degrees of sophistication，not necessarily for advanced technology as that term is understood in the West.
5. There are no official statistics covering the invisible account of the balance of payments，but the size of the visible trade surplus during 1981-1983 and a pronounced increase in earnings from tourism suggest that the current account has been in surplus over the past few years. 没有官方的统计资料涉及无形贸易收支，但在1981-1983年期间的有形贸易顺差的大小和旅游赢利的显著增长表明了经常项目在过去几年里有盈余。
6. Goods are produced according to a sample provided by the customer，while strong encouragement is given to compensation trade whereby a foreign seller supplies raw materials and equipment and receives manufactured goods， produced by the equipment provided，in return .Compensation trade differs from barter or counter-trade insofar as there is a direct link between the equipment supplied from abroad and the manufactured product. Assembly manufacturing began in 1978 and particular forms of foreign trade are eligible for exemption from customs duties and taxation.
7. The debt problems confronting a number of developing countries have reinforced China‘s determination to introduce foreign technology by means of direct investment and concessionary finance rather than by raising substantial sums of money on the international capital markets. The authorities do not consider it appropriate to incur large amounts of external debt until a number of practical bottlenecks in the economy， such as an inadequate transport network and energy constraints， have been tackled.
1.The special Economic Zone 经济特区
2.a well-placed source 一位高层消息灵通人士
4.capital stock 实际资本
5.consumer goods 消费品
6.preferential tax rate 优惠税率
7.cooperative enterprise 合作（经营）企业
8.ETDZ （ Economic &Technical Development Zone ）经济技术开发区
10.means of production 生产资料
12.Allocation of resources 资源配置
13.macroregulation and control 宏观调控
14.fiscal policies 财政政策
15.tight monetary policy 紧缩的货币政策
16.working capital 运营资本
17.basic policy 基本国策
18.technical transformation 技术革新
1.in piecemeal form： piece by piece； gradually 逐渐的
2.showpiece： a prime or outstanding example 典范