6. …the look-at-me phone users whose boring conversations are just as dangerous to our mental health as smoke is to our lungs.
A. interested interesting
1. He is interested in that book.
2. The book is interesting
B. excited exciting
1. We were very excited on hearing the news.
2. The exciting news was soon spread all over the country.
C. bored boring
1. The audience was bored by the speaker's empty talk.
2.The boring lecture made my sleepy.
7. …they listen to their walkmans while the teacher is talking to them.
listen是一个不及物动词，后面必须加介词to才可以跟宾语，如：听音乐（listen to music），听收音机（listen to the radio），听天气预报（listen to the weather forecast）。请注意，不能丢掉介词to.
8. Kids who have no idea what being polite means will pay the price sooner or later.
have no idea of sth. 意思是“对……不理解”。have no idea后面接从句，常可省去of，如：
1）He had no idea what was likely to happen next. （他无法预料接下去会出现什么情况。）
2）I have no idea why she left.（我不知道她为什么离去。）
Being honest means telling no lies. （诚实意味着不说谎话。）
1）I have no idea what will turn up.
2）I have no idea how soon they will arrive.
3）Word came that they had succeeded.
pay the price意思是“付出代价”。如：
They will pay the price for their ignorance. （他们将为自己的无知付出代价。）
sooner or later意思是“迟早”，如：
You will understand me sooner or later. （你迟早会理解我的。）
9. When they join the work force， their employers and associates alike will soon realize that the behavior of these rude young people is closer to that of animals than civilized people.
alike通常做形容词用，如：The two brothers are very much alike. （这两兄弟非常相象。）在本句子，alike作副词用，意思是“一样地”。
1）Teachers and students alike will have a 3-week holiday. （老师和学生一样将有为期三周的假期。）
2）The book is interesting and instructive alike. （这书既有趣，也有教益。）
1）By 1990， production in the area is expected to double that of 1980.
2）The weather in Shanghai is milder than that of Beijing.
10. Being polite and showing respect can give us an edge.
1）The edge was with our team. （优势在我们队这边。）
2）Since he obtained the edge， he was sure to win. （既然他取得了优势，他一定会赢。）
3）have an edge over sb. （胜过某人）
4）maintain a nuclear edge （保持核优势）
1. think of 2. be impressed by
3. fall asleep 4. a trip to
5. interact with 6. a majority of
7. show respect for 8. as well
9. be aware of 10. listen to
11. have no idea 12. pay the price
13. sooner or later 14. be close to
15. because of 16. get ahead
17. give sb. an edge 18. be based on
Text B Why we walk in circles
He came all the way to China for promoting friendship rather than for making money.
He was reading a book rather than watching TV.
He felt somewhat tired.
This book is somewhat difficult to understand.
Instead of pushing and crowding， he waited quietly for his turn.
He gave us a lot of trouble instead of help.
The letter had gone astray.
Make sure that no sheep go astray.
The poor child was kept from seeing his mother.
The bad weather kept us from getting there as scheduled.
Cut me off if I talk too much.
Gas supplies had now been cut off.
This book is worth reading.
This problem is worth following up.
8.reach one's goal
You have to work hard to reach your goal.
9. such as
Many stories such as these will prove instructive to the children.
He intended to give us an explanation， but he didn't.
I didn't intend to hurt you.
He is no more a teacher than a writer.
We are no more satisfied than you are.
Young as he is，he holds an important position in the company.
Smart as they are，they are always modest.
Child as he was，he knew what was the right thing to do.
With many eyes fixed on her，she felt very nervous.
With all the work completed，we felt greatly relieved.
With all his savings gone，he had to find a job now.