一、Choose the best answer for each question （15 points， 1 point for each item）
1. Which of the following is NOT one of the classical approaches in management？ （ ）
A. Scientific management. B. Administrative management.
C. Public relation. D. Bureaucracy.
2. Which of the following is NOT mentioned in the key characteristics of the executive recruit？ （ ）
A. Self-confidence. B. Loyalty.
C. Integrity. D. Leadership.
3. Problem can be identified in organizational performance by comparing current performance against （ ）
A. desired state. B. past performance.
C. others' performance. D. expected performance.
4. Internal assessment usually covers the following areas except （ ）
A. mission. B. strategic objectives.
C. business approach. D. corporate strategy.
5. The word charisma is closest in meaning to （ ）
A. character. B. trait.
C. charm. D. personality.
6. A well-designed job according to Hackman and Oldham in Lesson Six should have the following dimension except （ ）
A. skills. B. identity.
C. significance. D. automation.
7. Information flow generally occurs in three directions， which are the following except（ ）
A. from superiors to inferiors. B. from lower ranks to higher ranks.
C. among peers. D. between management and labor.
8. The major difference between restaurants and catering business in their ways of operation is
A. the kind of food. B. the premise of business.
C. the type of service. D. the location of service.
9. Large hotels and small hotels may differ in the following areas except （ ）
A. the number of units offered. B. the basic functions served.
C. the size of executive staff. D. the number of department heads.
10. Travel agents are responsible for the following except （ ）
A. what they have promised the tourists.
B. the professional level of their performance.
C. taking care of tourists' interests.
D. looking for tourists' interests.
11. The following have been highly globalized except （ ）
A. consumption. B. production.
C. investment. D. finance.
12. Managers must deal with the following except （ ）
A. the company's culture. B. the company's policies.
C. the company's politics. D. bureaucracy.
13. The factors of production include the following except （ ）
A. labor. B. capital.
C. natural resources. D. financial resources.
14. Product strategy has the following components except （ ）
A. successful products. B. new products.
C. problem products. D. failed products.
15. Business organization have to adapt to the changes in the business environment， which are brought about by the following except （ ）
A. national policies. B. rapid technology growth.
C. savings-investment issues. D. advances in global communications.
二、Cloze Test （20 points， 2 points for each item）
Although there has been a 16 rise in chain and franchise restaurant operations in recent years （some of them international in scope） the restaurant industry is still one of the 17 of small business. In every price range and every cuisine countless restaurants around the world are independently-owned and often owner-operated； The restaurant business 18 those who want the risks and satisfactions of self-employment.
Unfortunately， a large percentage of restaurants fail. Some of the reasons are the same as those that 19 all businesses： lack of experience， poor location， too much competition， poor merchandising. 20 ， restaurants have a special problem： with the exception of fast food， chain， and franchise operations， a restaurant must make a special statement to the customer if he or she is to 21 。 Eating is a deeply engrained 22 of satisfaction and the restaurant customer wants an eating 23 which combines food， service， décor， and an 24 extra. This is often difficult or impossible to anticipate but can 25 the life or death of a restaurant.
（ ）16. A. obvious B. interesting C. lucky D. meteoric
（ ）17. A. areas B. strongholds C. realms D. fields
（ ）18. A. deals with B. appeals to C. takes on D. stands off
（ ）19. A. beset B. set C. take D. make
（ ）20. A. However B. In addition C. Therefore D. Somehow
（ ）21. A. accept B. move C. return D. maintain
（ ）22. A. source B. activity C. touch D. impression
（ ）23. A. experience B. feeling C. attainment D. availability
（ ）24. A. unbelievable B. incredible C. unthinkable D. indefinable
（ ）25. A. signify B. indicate C. structure D. mean
三、Reading Comprehension （15 points， 3 points for each item）
Managers face problems constantly. Some problems that require a decision are relatively simple； others seem overwhelming. Some demand immediate action， while others take months or even years to unfold.
Actually， managers often ignore problems. For several reasons， they avoid taking action. First， managers can't be sure how much time， energy， or trouble lies ahead once they start working on a problem. Second， getting involved is risky； tackling a problem but failing to solve it successfully can hurt the manager's track record. Third， because problems can be so perplexing， it is easier to procrastinate or to get busy with less demanding activities.
There are several characteristics of managerial decisions that contribute to their difficulty and pressure， such as lack of structure， involvement of risk， uncertainty， and conflict.
Well-structured problems have objectively correct answers； they can be solved by using simple rules or numerical computations. But managers typically face ill-structured problems——problems with no proven answers， at least not until some time in the future. Such problems may have a number of possible solutions， all of which have merits and drawbacks.
26. Managers often ignore problems because of the following except that （ ）
A. failure in solving problems can hurt their track record.
B. they are afraid of losing control.
C. it is easier to put off the problem than to solve it.
D. It is easier to engage in less demanding activities than to solve problems.
27. What does the word procrastinate in the 2nd paragraph mean ？ （ ）
A. Delay. B. Determine.
C. Research. D. Tackle.
28. The following add to managers' decision making difficulty except （ ）
A. risk involved.
B. well-structured problems.
C. uncertainty due to lack of relevant information.
D. confrontation between management and labor.
29. Which of the following is NOT true of the well-structured problems？（ ）
A. They have the answers proven correct objectively.
B. They can be easily dealt with by managers using relevant rules.
C. They may have a number of possible solution with merits and demerits.
D. They can be solved by using numerical computation.
30. The word typically in the last paragraph is closest in meaning to（ ）
A. as often as not. B. symbolically.
C. cheerfully. D. excitedly.
四、Word Spelling （20 points， 1 point for each item）
31. A close， careful examination or study （n.） s____________
32. Marked by an orderly， logical relation of parts （adj.） c____________
33. To open and spread out； extend （v.） u____________
34. Requiring much effort or attention （adj.） d____________
35. Easily influenced or affected （adj.） s____________
36. To arrange or control the elements of， as to achieve a desired overall effect
37. To arrange， place， or set in methodical order （v.） m____________
38. To give energy to； activate or invigorate （v.） e____________
39. To put （a message， for example） into code （v.） e____________
40. The quality， capability， or power to elicit belief （n.） c____________
41. Remaining in a place only a brief time （adj.） t____________
42. Alert watchfulness （n.） v____________
43. To bind or obligate， as by a pledge （v.） c____________
44. To attract by arousing hope or desire； lure （v.） e____________
45. A store that sells the goods of a particular manufacturer or wholesaler
46. To deprive， as of rights or property； dispossess （v.） d____________
47. To strive for victory or superiority； contend （v.） v____________
48. A field， sphere， or province （n.） r____________
49. To determine the value， significance or extent of； appraise （v.） a____________
50. An authoritative command or instruction （n.） m____________
五、Translation from Chinese into English （15 points， 3 points for each item）
六、Translation from English into Chinese （15 points， 3 points for each item）
56.Business research has an inherent value to the extent that it helps management make better decisions.
57.The top management of a company should have a strategic vision about where to compete， when to compete， and how to compete.
58.Conspicuous consumption is the practice of purchasing goods and services because of the status they might bring.
59.Shareholder wealth maximization is a long-run goal.
60.Retail travel agencies often sell travel services supplied by a wholesaler.