1. able ability enable capable be able to do能够做…
have the ability to do能够做，有能力做…：
He has the ability to make very good boat.
enable sb to do使…能做…：
Internet has enabled us to get information from all over the world.
Be capable of能够做…： He is capable of drawing oil painting.
He is able to read and write in English.
3. abroad国外，海外： live ~ go ~
Many young people are eager to go abroad to study.
4. access：入口，途径；机会，权利。Have access to sth
Citizens in the town all have access to the books in the local（当地的）library.
5. absorb吸收be absorbed in全神贯注于…
All the students are absorbed in Professor‘s lecture on China’s economy.
She received a gift from him， but she didn‘t accept it.
7. by accident=by chance偶然地on purpose故意地
8. according to根据
According to the article， environmental pollution has been taken under control.
9. take…into account=take…into consideration把…考虑在内
I hope my teacher will take into account my illness when he grades our test paper.
She gave an account of what he saw in China.
10. accuse sb of sth = charge sb with（for） sth指责…做了…；指控…犯了…
He was accused of robbing the bank and sentenced ten years in gail.
His mother charged him with being lazy.
11. be accustomed to = be used to习惯于后接sth或doing sth
used to过去有过去常常后接do sth
Mr. Smith is not used/accustomed to driving on the right.
I‘m already used to the life here.
There used to be a house near the river.
He used to get up while he was in the middle school.
You will achieve nothing if you waste your time this way.
13. adapt=adjust适应~ adopt收养；采用
You should adapt to college life as soon as possible.
He adjusted himself very quickly to the weather in the country.
14. add to增添add up to总计达
15. in addition（to）=besides此外
In order to master a foreign language， we should learn some grammar. In addition， we‘d better learn some words.
He admitted him mistake at last.
18. in advance预先，提前
You should inform（通知）me in advance if you are going to come.
19. take advantage of = make use of利用
We can take advantage of computer to analyze data.
A good habit in learning is to make full use of class time.
20. affect （v.） effect （n.） influence （v & n）影响effort努力
have an effect/influence on对…有影响
make an effort to do或make efforts to do
The latest discovery in gene will have a great effect on the health of human beings.
They made great efforts to find a new cure to lung cancer .
21. afford （to do） sth买/花/用/支付得起
It‘s hard to imagine how he can afford （to buy） a house on his small salary.
22. be afraid of担心，害怕
23. at the age of
24. agree with同意
The two countries have agreed on the date for next talk.
My parents don‘t agree to my staying outside overnight.
25. ahead of time提前
We finished our assignment ahead of time.
26. by air=by plane by sea= by ship by bus/train on foot
26. after all毕竟above all首先（not…） at all一点（也不）all over
28. allow/permit…to do…允许…做…
29. although/though but连词不能同时用在句子中。
in spite of/despite介词不连接句子
Although he was seriously ill， he went on with the experiment.
Young as he is， he has already learned three foreign languages： English， French and Japanese.
Although he is young，he has already learned three foreign languages ：English， French and Japanese.
In spite of/despite his illness， he went on with his experiment.
30. be angry with sb be angry at sth
31. apart from=besides除了…。之外，还有…。
No one knows what happened except mr. Smith.
He has a large collection of books besides CDs.
32. apply （ ~ for申请）应用
He has successfully applied for a position（职位）in the company.
I really appreciate your coming to the party.类似动词有：
enjoy， mind介意， avoid避免， escape逃避， can‘t help禁不住， risk冒险， need=want需要
My hair needs cutting.
35. argue with sb与…争论
36. arise ~ from rise arouse raise
New problems will arise as the old ones have been solved.（出现）
Are there any things arising from last meeting？（源于）
His speech aroused little interest among the students.（引起，激起）
The company has raised the prices of its products.（提高）
The prices of goods rose day by day during the Spring Festival.（上升）
38. as for至于as to关于，至于as if/though似乎，好象
39. ask for要求
40. attach importance to重视
41. pay attention to重视catch one‘s attention引起…注意/重视
There is no ticket available.
43.average平均on（ the ） ~
44. be aware of = realize意识到be sure一定要，肯定
He apologized to us for the mistake as soon as he was aware of it.
Be sure not to be late for the meeting.
I‘m sure the play will be a great success.
45. back up支持
47. base ~…on…把…建立在…基础之上
His article is based on the research.
endure tolerate stand put up with
She cannot bear to see the child in pains.
49. do/try one‘s best
He said he would try his best to carry out the plan.
50. because连词：There will be no meeting because the manager will be on the vacation next week.
because of介词： His wedding will be put off because of his father‘s death.
51. best make the ~ of很好地利用
52. had better do最好You‘d better finish reading the book in this week， since I’m going to return it to the library.
would rather do宁愿I‘d rather go there myself.
The professor‘s lecture is beyond me/beyond my understanding （超出我的理解范围）。
The apple on the tree is beyond my reach（够不着）。
55. be bound to do注定…
You‘re bound to succeed as long as（只要）you keep on trying.
56. break into闯入break out爆发break through突破
break up （关系等）破裂
57. catch one‘s breath
58. call off=cancel取消call on=visit拜访call for请求，号召
The resident called for the people to fight against the invaders.
59. care for关心，在乎take care保重take care of=look after照顾
60. carry on继续carry out实施，执行
They decided to carry out the plan despite the opposition.
in case （of）以防，万一Take my umbrella in case it rains；。
In most cases在大多数情况下
In no case决不in no way by no means
62. catch up with赶上，保持一致keep up with keep pace with
63. （be） in charge of掌管，负责
take charge of掌管，负责
The short man there is in charge of our company.
The hotel charges $100 for a double room.
66. comfort v.& n安慰；舒适，舒服
67. have…in common有共同之处
Although they are twins they have little in common.
Poets like comparing their lovers to red roses.
Compared with brain， computer still has some shortcomings.
70. complain of/about抱怨
71. be made up of由…。组成be composed of consist of
72. concentrate on集中注意力于be engaged in
73. as far as…be concerned就…而言
As far as wages are concerned， I‘m very dissatisfied with the present job.
74. contribute捐献contribute to有助于
Computers will contribute many conveniences to our work.
75. control out of control失去控制under ~在控制之下
I‘m convinced（=I believe） that where there is a will， there is a way.
He was not convinced of his wife‘s guilty.
78. cope with deal with handle处理，应付
79. at the cost of以…为代价He saved the drown child at the cost of his own life.
at the risk of冒着…危险…
The overcoat cost him $200.
He spent $200 on （in buying） the overcoat.
80. count on depend on rely on依靠，依赖
Our holiday was spoiled buy the bad weather.
The earthquake has destroyed the city entirely.
84. a good/great deal许多，大量
85. degree学位程度=extent to some extent/degree在某种程度上
86. demand order suggest propose insist等后that从句用虚拟语气（加动词原形）
The general ordered that the bridge （should） be repaired before daybreak.
He denied breaking the window.
Women were denied the right to vote in the past in the U.S.
88. in detail详细地
He explained the question to us in ~.
89. devote…。 To…致力于
The scientist devoted the whole life to the study of chemistry.
90. do away with废除get rid of摆脱除掉
have…to do with与…有关
It has nothing to do with what you are talking about.
Do away with the law.
He managed to get rid of the man followed him.
91. drop in=drop by=visit
92. due到期的The book will be due next week.
What time will the next bus due？
The next meeting is due to be held in three months‘time.
due to =because of=owing to因为，由于
His promotion is due to his hard working.
Due to the heavy rain， we have to give up the plan for the weekends.
95. else其它的something ~ somebody ~
96. in the end最终（结果）at last最后（经过很长时间）
I have finished the essay at last.
We were thinking of going to England， but in the end we went to the USA.
97. enjoy oneself=have a good time玩的开心help oneself随便
98. establish=set up=found
100. for example=for instance
101. be exhausted=be tired out =be worn out筋疲力尽的
Being exposed to the sun for some time can do good to your health.
Many of today‘s teenagers have been exposed too much to violence and sex.
104. face up to（勇敢）面对be faced with面临encounter面临
105. in fact as a matter as a fact实际上事实上
106. be familiar with
107. by far非常，最（修饰比较级和最高级）so far迄今为止（完成时态）
In my opinion， he is by far the most suitable one for the job.
He sent out a letter to apply for the job， but has received no answer so far.
My English is far from perfect.
109. favor do sb a favor帮…个忙in favor of赞成
I‘m in favor of his suggestion that a power plant（电厂）be built.
Would you do me a favor to carry the box upstairs？
110. feel like doing sth would like to do sth喜欢/想做…。
112. fill in填写be filled with充满
Would you like to fill in your address and telephone here？