I would Like to Tell You Something
1.testify to ： give or provide evidence about something 证明。I‘ll testify to his exceptional ability. How can you testify to the reliability of the wit ness？ vt. His words testify his reluctance to help me. His tears testificd his grief. vi. state or declare under oath， usually in court 作证。 n. testimony ： bear（be） testimony of 表明。 Winning the scholarship is testimony of intelligence.
2.be tantamount t adj. equivalent in effect or meaning （实质上）等于，相当于。如：His answer is tantamount to a refusal.
3.rampant ： growing or spreading steadily and without stopping ； widespread； a rampant rumor （disease）
4.take…lying down 甘心接受（不愉快情况）。如： He took the defeat lying down. I cannot take that insult lying down.
5.not give a damn ： 一点不在乎。 I dow‘t give a damn what they say. 我一点也不在乎他们说什么。
6.what if…假使……又怎样？What will happen if… What if he fails to help us？ What if they should be in love？
7.in terms of ： with regard to， concerning 就……。来说，从……角度。如：In terms of salary ， the job is guite good. In terms of natural resources， it is one of the richest countries in the world.
8.want n. ：lack ， absence， or need ； often in the phr. for/from want of 由于缺乏。如：The plants died for/from want of water.
9.spuander ： spend foolishly ； use up waste fully.
The Beauty Inaustry
1. substantially ： to a large degree 大体上，基本上。如：Their opinions are substantially the same. His criticism is substantially correct.
2. prodigious ： a. extraordinary in size， amount， etc. 巨大的，莫大的。prodigal a . 浪费的，挥霍的，放荡的。
3. cult of beauty 对美的崇拜 the cult of surfing 冲浪狂 the personality cult 个人崇拜
4. retrench ： to reduce or diminish， esp. so as to economize 减少，节省。如：The company began to retrench its work force.
5. be preoccupied with ： 专注于，有心事，如：When he is preoccupied with his hobby， he is oblivious of what is going on around him. They were preoccupied with their thoughts.
6. intrinsically-inftrinsic ： belonging to or being part of a thing by its value 本来具有的，固有的。如：intrinsic value 内在价值 intrinsic energy 内能。