1. I knew the thing （ ）。
A. by accident B. in accident
C. with accident D. at accident
2. So they （ ） the bad news gently-her husband was dead.
A. broke B. let on
C. murmured D. muttered
3. She had changed so much over the years that I hardly （ ） her.
A. recreated B. realized
C. recognized D. reacted
4. My grandmother was physically （ ） after her tears.
A. tired B. exhausted
C. fatigued D. tire
5. The new library is equipped with various protections （ ） fire.
A. from B. of
C. under D. against
6. He gave a good （ ） in the “Sydney 2000”，defeating every opponent in contests.
A. amount B. announce
C. arouse D. account
7. The old professor （ ） himself to the cause of education.
A. influenced B. was devoided
C. devolved on D. devoted
8. The meeting is （ ）a proposal to construct a new swimming pool.
A. in connection with B. in view of
C. in comparison D. on account of
9. There are many （ ） between them.Maybe they are twins.
A. specimens B. instruments
C. differences D. resemblances
10. How did it come （ ） that you made a lot of mistakes in your homework.
A. about B. with
C. after D. to
11. The medicine had no （ ） on him.
A. affection B. effect
C. affect D. effective
12. It was 10 o‘clock when the train （ ） into New York.
A. drew B. entered
C. pulled D. dragged
13. Four days later，a headline about a burglary （ ） his eye.
A. caught B. met
C. took D. taught
14. A friend of my wife （ ） at her kids one day when they were running out to meet a trash truck.
A. yelled B. abandoned
C. indulged D. flung
15. If a woman is fat in a pleasant looking way，we say she is （ ）。
A. plump B. ugly
C. slender D. handsome
16. （ ） with his achievement，mine is not achievement at all.
A. When compared B. While comparing
C. Compare D. Comparing
17. I should very much like to have gone to the party，but I（ ）。
A. am not invited B. am not being invited
C. shall not be invited D. was not invited
18. I‘ll buy one （ ） it costs.
A. whichever B. however
C. whateve r D. whenever
19. Nowhere else in the world （ ） more attractive scenery than in Switzerland.
A. you can find B. in found
C. can you find D. had been found
20. （ ），she went back to her room.
A. There was no cause for alarm
B. Being no cause for alarm
C. Without having cause for alarm
D. There being no cause for alarm
21. This is the second time she （ ） improvement in that equipment.
A. had made B. made
C. is making D. has made
22. She found one excuse after another to postpone （ ） to the doctor.
A. to go B. going
C. to have gone D. having gone
23. The further this process is allowed to go，（ ） it will be to reverse it.
A. the more difficult B. the more easier
C. the more easy D. more difficult
24. This is the refrigerator （ ） we have had so much trouble.
A. with which B. of which
C. at which D. to which
25. （ ） you were ill，I wouldn‘t have spoken so rudely.
A. If I have realized B. If I had realized
C. Did I realize D. Should I realize
26. You （ ） yesterday if you were really serious about the job.
A. ought to come B. ought have come
C. ought come D. ought to have come
27. Our English teacher is （ ）。
A. James and Mary‘s father
B. James‘s and Mary’s father
C. Jame‘s and Mary’s father
D. James‘ and Mary’s father
28. When you （ ） your house，please tell me.
A. finish to paint B. will finish paint
C. finish paint D. have finished painting
29. （ ） becoming less and less is of great concern to all the people in the world.
A. Is water B. Water is
C. That water is D. Water
30. Economic goods may take the form （ ） of material things or services.
A. either B. because
C. as D. or
Reading is the key to school success and，like any skill，it takes practice.A child learns to walk by practicing until he no longer has to think about how to put one foot in front of the other.A great athlete practices until he can play quickly and accurately without thinking.Tennis players call that “being in the zone.” Educators call it “automaticity”。
A child learns to read by sounding out the letters and decoding（辨识）the words.With practice，he stumbles less and less，reading by the phrase.With automaticity，he doesn‘t have to think about decoding the words，so he can concentrate on the meaning of the text.
It can begin as early as first grade.In a recent study of children in Illinois schools，Alan Rossman of Northwestern University found automatic readers in the first grade who were reading almost three times as fast as the other children and scoring twice as high on comprehension tests.At fifth grade，the automatic readers were reading twice as fast as the others，and still outscoring them on accuracy，comprehension and vocabulary.
“It‘s not I.Q.（智商） but the amount of time a child spends reading that is the key to automaticity，”according to Rossman.Any child who spends at least 3.5 to 4 hours a week reading books，magazines or newspapers will in all likelihood reach automaticity.At home，where the average child spends 25 hours a week watching television，it can happen by turning off the set just one night in favor of reading.
You can test your child by giving him a paragraph or two to read aloud-something unfamiliar but appropriate to his age.If he reads aloud with expression，with a sense of the meaning of the sentences，he probably is an automatic reader.If he reads haltingly，one word at a time，without expression or meaning，he needs more practice.
31. The first paragraph tells us （ ）。
A. what automaticity is B. how accuracy is acquired
C. how a child learns to walk D. how an athlete is trained
32. The Illinois study shows that the automatic reader‘s high speed （ ）。
A. costs him a lot of work B. affects his comprehension
C. leads to his future success D. doesn‘t affect his comprehension
33. The word outscoring in paragraph 3 means （ ）。
A. scoring higher than B. scoring lower than
C. scoring as high as D. scoring unfavorably in
34. Which of the following is not mentioned in the passage？（ ）
A. Practice can make people learn quickly and accurately.
B. A child always learns to read by sounding out the letters and decoding the words.
C. The amount of time a child spends reading is the key to automaticity.
D. If a child reads slowly without expressions or meaning，most probably he is not an automatic reader.
35. What is the main idea of the passage？（ ）
A. Automaticity is important for efficient reading.
B. Reading is the key to school success.
C. The way to children‘s success.
D. Children‘s I.Q. and their success.
The world celebrated International Labor Day on the first of this month and，as the territory‘s best known labor representative，the Hong Kong Federation of Trade Unions feels the time is right to reassess priorities and restate the conditions necessary to improve the lot of workers.We also have to reassess our own role in terms of the successes and failures of trade union activity and how we can further serve the needs of workers and society.In this manner，we can give due recognition to those who have fought for workers’ rights and understand the balance of interest among different social groups.
First of all，we must recognize that people need to work to earn a livelihood.In a capitalist society，however，workers are only employed when the value they produce by labor exceeds the input by the investor－that is，when they are exploited.But when employer‘s profits fall，when labor skills are a little outdated or devalued，or because of the need to increase competitive power，workers may be sacked.
Union duty：A labor union，therefore，has to fight for the rights of workers.After demands by workers for legislation against unfair dismissal，the Hong Kong Government finally changed its attitude slightly at the beginning of this year by proposing legislation against unreasonable job termination or amendments of employment contracts.
This is a positive move，given the relationship between employers and employees in Hong Kong.It plugs（堵，塞） loopholes（漏洞） in existing labor ordinances（法令） and reinforces the various ordinances that forbid unfair dismissal of workers.It also shows a breakthrough in bureaucratic（官僚政治的） thinking.We hope that this is a good start.The strengthening of career counseling by the Labor Department is also a positive move.
36. In order to further serve the needs of workers and society，the Trade Unions need to do the following things except （ ）。
A. to restate the condition B. to reassess priorities
C. to rearrange further struggles D. to reassess their role
37. According to the author，why do people need to work？（ ）
A. To produce value. B. To earn a livelihood.
C. To increase competitive power. D. To exceed the input.
38. In the capitalist society，workers are only employed when （ ）。
A. employer‘s profits fall
B. labor skills are a little outdated
C. there is a need to increase competitive power
D. they produce more value than the input
39. The Government‘s action has the following results except that （ ）。
A. it strengthens the various ordinances that prohibit unfair dismissal
B. it plugs the loopholes in existing labor regulations
C. it gives due recognition to those who have fought for workers‘ right
D. it shows a breakthrough in bureaucratic thinking
40. A labor union can （ ）。
A. propose legislation against unreasonable dismissal
B. amend the employment to change its attitude
C. urge the government to change its attitude
D. plug the loopholes in existing labor ordinances
41. gentle 42. ghastly
43. specimen 44. exhausted
45. break 46. solve
47. initial 48. philosophy
49. blood 50. extreme
51. finger 52. loyalty
53. familiar 54. wretched
55. powder 56. suede
57. smooth 58. journey
59. value 60. conceit
came but sources from factors pure else accurate creativecreated more for
A land free __61__ destruction，plus wealth，natural resources，and labor supply……all these were important __62__ in helping England to become the center for the Industrial Revolution.__63__ they were not enough.
Something __64__ was needed to start the industrial process.That “something special” was me……__65__ individuals who could invent machines，find new __66__ of power，and establish business organizations to reshape society.The men who __67__ the machines of the Industrial Revolution __68__ from many backgrounds and
many occupations.Many of them were __69__ inventors than scientists.A man who is a __70__ scientist is primarily interested in doing his research accurately.
__71__ mastered these main issues，I composed ten questions that I‘d ask if I __72__ the professor.I pretended that I was in the room，and I __73__ the next four hours answering my ten questions.I then corrected my __74__ by referring to the lecture and the textbook notes，and much to my __75__，I had discussed all the facts and ideas accurately.__76__ the first time I felt that I had __77__ something.I went to bed at 10∶00 for a good __78__ sleep，having refused to go to a __79__ with the rest of the __80__.
81. In “The Day I Was Fat”，in the past seven years besides losing weight，the greatest change exercise had brought about in her was that ______.
82. According to “The Trashman”，when Dr.Coleman said hello to people on the route，most often the response was ______.
83. In the story “Detective on the Trail”，Bob went to “8，Salem Crescent，North.”after dark on Thursday night.While walking along the street，he saw policemen ______.
84. It happened so quickly，so simply after all the years of waiting and uncertainty，that ______.（From The Letter “A”）
85. In the story “Thank You，Ma‘am”，the boy chose to sit where she could easily see him because ______.
86. One day when the man saw a ship on the sea he didn‘t think the ship was real because he thought ______.
87. Many people believe that when they become rich and successful，happiness will ______.
88. Long-term happiness is based on honesty，productive work，______.
89. People were laughing at themselves as they realized that Henry Ground had led them into his last and the funniest ______.
90. Twelve of Henry‘s closest friends were invited to the funeral breakfast because Henry Ground had asked his brother to ______.