Ⅰ。 Multiple Choice Questions （30 points， 2 points for each）
A. Directions： This part consists of ten sentences， each followed by four different versions marked A， B， C and D. Choose the one that is the closest equivalent of the original in terms of meaning and expressiveness.
1. Almost all the TV viewers were deeply impressed by Titanic‘s huge mass and her ruined splendor of a lost age.
2. A truly extraordinary variety of alternatives to the chemical control of insects is available.
3. We talked of our plans to wed and start a family， once we were settled in Los Angeles， and we listened to the rain.
4. I felt approaching footsteps. I stretched out my hand as I supposed to my mother.
5. Brindley worked， for example， to improve the grinding of flints， which were used in the rising pottery industry.
A. He sat on the edge of the bed， his head lowered.
B. He was sitting on the edge of the bed， his head lowering.
C. He sat on the edge of the bed， with his head being lowered.
D. He was sitting on the edge of the bed， with his head lowering.
A. Many actresses in the Pingju Theatre learned to knit， in most cases I taught them.
B. Many other actresses in the pingju Theatre learned to knit as well， mostly from me.
C. Many actress in the pingju Theatre learned to knit， mostly from me.
D. Many other actress in the Pingju Theatre learned to knit as well， and in most cases I taught them.
A. You‘ve written so many books， how can you say you’re not man of letter
B. You‘ve written many， many books. How can you say you’re not a man of letter
C. You‘ve written so many books. How can you say you’re not man of letters
D. You‘ve written many， many books. How can you say you’re not a man of letters
A. He slept like a log and was not even wakened up by the thunder.
B. He slept like a log and was not even awakened up by the thunder.
C. He slept like a log and was not even awoken up by the thunder.
D. He slept like a log and was not even awakened by the thunder.
A. A country with a vast territory， a big population and a long history， China should make greater contributions to humanity.
B. China is a country with a vast territory， a big population and a long history， should make greater contributions to humanity.
C. China has a vast territory， a big population and a long history， and thus makes greater contributions to humanity.
D. As a country， China has not only a vast territory， a big population but also a long history. Therefore， China should make greater contributions to humanity.
B. Directions： This part consists of five unfinished statements， each followed by four choices labeled A， B， C and D. Choose the one that best completes each statement.
A. 理论 B. 实践
C. 创新 D. 观察
A. 两种语言 B. 两种文体
C. 两大片文化 D. 两套语法体系
14. According to Theodore Savory， a translator must ask himself： _________.
A. （ⅰ） What does the author say
（ⅱ） What does he mean
（ⅲ） How does he say it
B. （ⅰ） What does the author mean
（ⅱ）What does he say
（ⅲ）What does he want
C. （ⅰ）What does the author say
（ⅱ） Where does he say it
（ⅲ） What does he mean
D. （ⅰ） What does the author mean
（ⅱ） How does he like it
（ⅲ） What does he say
Ⅱ。 Word and Phrase Translation （20 points， 1 point for each）
A. Directions： Put the following words and phrases into Chinese.
17. foreign exchange dealings
18. financial deficit
19. arbitration agency
20. regional autonomy
21. waste disposal
22. automobile components
23. sum total
24. inland waters
B. Directions： Put the following words and phrases into English.
Ⅲ。 Translation Improvement （20 points， 2 points for each）
A. Directions： Each of the following Chinese translations has one or more inadequacies. Improve the given translations.
原文：Adelaide enjoys a Mediterranean climate.
36. 原文：China‘s vast size and resources， her extraordinary economic progress over recent years， have made her an increasingly important player in the modern international economy.
37. 原文：His air of complete self-assurance and somewhat lordly bearing would have frightened me， had it not been for his warm and hearty handshake.
38. 原文：She wore dark glasses， a thick sweater and a white scarf.
39. 原文：She is neatly and quietly dressed in accordance with her age and position.
40. 原文：My wife and I， as well as our entire party， are deeply grateful.
41. 原文：It is better to be alone than in ill company.
B. Directions： Each of the following English translations has one or more inadequacies. Improve the given translations.
译文：To write a preface to this collection of his essays gives me a great honor.
改译：I find it a great honor to write a preface to this collection of his essays.
译文：The people in Shenzhen reviewed their experience and decided to shift the zone‘s economy from an incoming orientation to an external orientation.
译文：“Things turn into their opposites when they reach the extreme”； mistakes pile up， light is not far off.
译文：The Diamond Lake， noting for its beautiful scenery， was regarded as one of the outstanding views of the city.
译文：Without knowledge of science and technology is impossible to build socialism.
Ⅳ。 Paragraph Translation （30 points）
A. Directions： Translate the following passage into Chinese. （15 points）
46. We are still in the middle of the Industrial Revolution； We had better be， for we have many things to put right in it. But it has made our world richer， smaller， and for the first time ours. And I mean that literally： our world， everybody‘s world.
From its earliest beginnings， when it was still dependent on water power， the Industrial Revolution was terribly cruel to those whose lives and livelihood it overturned. Revolutions are—it is their nature， because by definition revolutions move too fast for those whom they strike. We still live in the middle of the Industrial Revolution and find it hard to see its implications， but the future will say of it that in the ascent of man it is a step， a stride， as powerful as the Renaissance. The Renaissance established the dignity of man. The Industrial Revolution established the unity of nature.
B. Directions： Translate the following passage into English. （15 points）